Friday, January 22, 2016

"The Sanctuary Song" Take 9 is Recorded

This was the second time recording "The Sanctuary Song" with cameras today.  The first time was with available light in the room and the second time was with lasers and smoke just now.

Each Take now is definitely chasing perfectionism but that's never going to happen with these cameras.  All of them with do an adequate job in normal light but any old camera can handle those situations.  It takes better quality cameras to handle difficult lighting situations.


That's looking kind of hopeless and there's still the possibility of full-out shameless with GoFundMe but that sucks so hard.  The frustration is I know what I can do with a camera and I've used high-quality camera gear for most of my life but these ones can't hack it.


Maybe the alternative is to finish it with the kiddie cams to put that online to use as part of the basis for shooting it right.  That whole idea smells, tho.


Getting more and more bugged by these cameras.


(Ed:  turn the cameras off)

It's not the answer and I tried it today.  Doing it in available light doesn't tell the story.  It needs the surrealism because that invites suspension of disbelief.  There's nothing about how I perform the song which will defy belief but rather the disbelief is whether it's possible to throw away your fear.

Something similar could be done with a green screen to transplant the guitarist into whatever twisted world I devise.  That could be done for a couple of hundred dollars but that's some coked-out Hollywood horror and I don't want a CGI piece of crap.

Something I would really like to try is hanging a green screen down the back wall of the studio.  If I use a chroma key to mask it out of the video, there will still be the room but there won't be a wall at the back of it anymore and then ... use your imagination ... so long as the perspective to that space is generally the same as this one (i.e. floor is the same level and the same angle), it could be anything back there.

(Ed:  you just wrote CGI sucks)

Yah but not all the time.  It has applications.  It just doesn't have one in "The Sanctuary Song" because the song lies if it isn't real even though it requires presentation in a surrealistic way.


Playing it is a hoot.  There are colors everywhere and the smoke carries them so I'm not just looking at them, they're everywhere.  Capturing the sensation of that is an incredibly difficult thing but it's even more fascinating now than when I started with it.  Various of my videos have sought for surrealism in various ways but this one is in a whole other dimension.

Even when Take 9 isn't a final, it doesn't matter to me since I'm more than happy to do it again and would do it again anyway simply because it's a grand feeling doing it.

No comments: