Friday, January 29, 2016

"The End of the World in Fort Worth" - Looking Just Fine #music

There is vindication in releasing "The End of the World in Fort Worth" (YouTube) because you can see for yourself there's no morbidity to it but rather the opposite.  Any discussion of things which may seem that way in future writing will also unfold as this one; there won't be any fundamental philosophical shift between songs such that death is suddenly important.  The only thing important about death is the absence of it so everything in these songs is about life.

(Ed:  isn't it important for a musician to calm the fears in the audience?)

No.  Throwing dog bones with narcotics will do that and you can see all over the country what soporifics do.  It's the task of a musician to confront reality, hopefully in a beautiful way but not necessarily a beautiful one.  The reality the musician may see is possibly not one you accept or even believe but that's the song and not some hogwash idea about being one step above Nyquil to help people sleep with that rough, raspy cough.


It pissed me off with the idea of slumming the other day because thirty thousand people came through in a rumbling stampede and not one left so much as a brass farthing.  Contributing is also something you may write and that's real and counts the same as ponying up some shekels in the Rockhouse world.  For the others, it feels much like let's watch Silas burn ... it's amusing.  If that's all the engagement, they're better off staying inside their soap opera gossip worlds in the social networks.

(Ed:  why do you hate them so much?)

I don't.  I hate myself for wasting time on them.  As before, there are some interesting people but most of them just want you to look at their stuff and couldn't be bothered to look at yours.  So ... fuck it ... I don't look at any of it anymore and keep working on the songs.  I have looked quite a bit previously but it doesn't go both ways so it's a waste insofar as I'm interested in external things but most of them are not so obviously I play to the wrong people.

(Ed:  cerebrosclerosis?)

Yes, hardening of the brain.  It does the same thing to thinking as atherosclerosis does to the heart.  Cerebrosclerosis is typically accompanied by atherosclerosis.

(Ed:  yah, but try to get that into a poem!)

You think I have not tried?  Right now I wonder what rhymes with 'nimiety' ... gaiety?  This is going to get weird.  Hmm ... that rhyme might even work for something.

(Ed:  why not slash politicians?)

Why be obvious.  There are much bigger things than hack pols and people don't see these things anymore.  That's my reality and that's the song.  The stock market changes by half a point and they start barfing so that's not even close to reality and no chance there will ever be a song in it.  The reality here can't fall apart because you can't really touch it anyway.

I wasn't sure if I would slash myself later for releasing the song with clams but there's no giant clam, only relatively minor ones and some squeakers.  For me it still goes the same, that they add authenticity to the reality of it and that's a giant thing for something which seems clearly not real.

(Ed: is that just a cop for mistakes?)

If it is, I can only use it once (larfs).  I really don't believe it is or I would have killed it already.


Other of my vids have had stories in them but none of them really got to the level of "The End of the World in Fort Worth" and I'm really pleased with it.  This is the 'what do you know ... it worked' phase and that feels pretty cool.  That's followed instantly by 'now what' but that's ok since "Andromeda Weeps" is already on a roll.

Note:  I would so love to show this stuff to my ol' Dad who loved film editing and that's a fond memory, not a sad one.  A bit of sad but mostly fond.


What likely follows is a purging of vids I think are not up to scratch on YouTube and I haven't done it already because many have blog articles attached to them and that will break the article ... but ... if they're not pulling their weight then they need to exit.

No comments: