Wednesday, January 27, 2016

"The End of the World in Fort Worth" - Silas Scarborough (sci-fi music video)

"The End of the World in Fort Worth" shows people disappearing off the street, consumed by fear, and we hear Gabriel's Horn but we get away ...  and then we hear "The Sanctuary Song" calling.  We choose love over fear and the Sanctuary welcomes anyone who does.  This is not religion, this is music ... which looks a lot the same. 

It's even got a spaceship - Silas


This song has been a long time coming but it's good to see it hard-earned and there are mistakes in it but that admission isn't a prelude to some self-deprecating self-whackage but rather they give an authenticity to it to me.  All of this time it had to be absolutely immaculate but photographing orchids showed me that's impossible because nothing is perfect.  Maybe that's just rationalizing because there are some bits where I hit some clammish items and they make me think, ela, ela, you could have reached that.  But the balance beats out a minor squirm and makes it real for me.

IMPORTANT IF EPILEPTIC:  LASERS AND FLASHING LIGHTS



The reality is the illusion and maybe I shouldn't explain but, wtf, everything in the video is real.  Other than some spooky stuff in the intro part downtown, I didn't add anything to the video with effects in Final Cut.  Everything recorded in there is really the way it looked.  I did juice the audio a bit with EQ because it must come in flat from the mixer so that just needs some curvy goodness on the top and the bottom.

(Ed:  you're talking about mixing, right?)

Yes.  What were you talking about??

The reality of the video is the most vital part of the story because everything about it seems an illusion in the face of an overwhelming true reality.  Nevertheless, people do disappear with their fear.  They buy lots of guns and huddle in their houses waiting for Them to come.  They don't know who Them are but they're ready and they will wait.  Their reality is precisely why there can't be any added 'added reality' to the video's apparent unreality via visual effects whether in Final Cut or real-time in virtual.

The annihilation of self isn't absolute but mostly the guitarist is a ghost and that works fine for me.  It's been everything to have the song pull all the weight to make it as much the experience as possible rather than egoness.  I don't know what ego means beyond having the balls to do it.  You see a ghost playing this stuff and that looks suitably anonymous.  I don't see the lasers as distractive because they are more frequencies and everything does come through in waves.  Our hope is to find harmony in them rather than blowing them the fuck up.  Surfing in light.  One day they will.


(Ed:  after you alienate so many people, no-one will watch it!)

There's an excellent point, Thomas ... as in Doubting in nature.  There's a good chance not a fuckin' soul will watch it but that gives me kind of a cop.  See, they didn't watch it because they hate me (larfs).

(Ed:  yah, but then they could watch it and think, 'fuck him.  I just won't tell him.')

Remarkable thinking once again, Thomas.  That could happen as well and it's kind of a peach even if that happens because I can say, hey, they fookin' like it.

(Ed:  what if they like it?)

That's where I'm screwed, you Skeptical Son of a Sailor.  After 'thank you.  I worked hard on it.' I'm fresh out of things to say.


This one is an offering at the feet of my ol' Dad because he had a wonderful knack for pissing people right off and, by Godfrey, I learned that one.  This goes all the way back to him showing me how to play about with eight millimeter film and now we have traveled light years.

Hope you like it, ol' Dad.  This one is for you.

7 comments:

Cadillac Man said...

Congratulations!! This is your best Silas - for now. What's next?

Unknown said...

Thank you. There's only one answer: do it again and make another one! "Andromeda Weeps" is well underway. I'm glad that one got started before I finished The End of the World because there wasn't any letup in-between. This next one would be much easier in Tennessee where some Young Beautiful People probably wouldn't even mind doing it. The video will make stars out of them and they live happily ever after in that one so that should be pretty cool, right?? (larfs)

I do appreciate that you watched.

Anonymous said...

YES! Hopefully we can talk about this video and the next to come! ML

Unknown said...

That would be wonderful and the next one is highly live right now. The music and lyrics are well along and and much of the thinking this morning was how to realize the visual. Mostly that means virtual but it's wide-open to however it should be. It would be great to kick up some ideas!

Anonymous said...

P.S. I enjoyed "comb Your Hair" I forgot to mention that. Very soothing to listen to. ML

Unknown said...

Thank you. Sometimes something is simple but pretty so, ok, record it and see what happens. I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Unknown said...

Whoa ... I was thinking, it's all good so long as I remember which day ... but I didn't. I saw it is Thursday and I was thinking it's Monday. Whoops (larfs)

Tomorrow at 1pm CST / 2pm EST!