Monday, January 25, 2016

The After-Party for Take 10

It was blazin', no doubt about that, and there's some killin' stuff in there ... but ... there will be a Take 11 and it will be tomorrow night unless the Earth eats me up before then.

You probably wouldn't even notice the reasons I scratch the Takes at this point but I hear it or see it and think, nope, it could be better.  Cook it some more.

Yevette gets the immediate review and I was almost apologetic in telling her it's not this one.  She's not annoyed or drumming her fingers with impatience but doing the same song for weeks on end has got to be trying.  I told her I can't have any other damn thing but I can have this and she understands, it's exactly the same with her.

So the fine points which convince me to scratch it are minor but I don't want them to be there.  So long as I think there's even a slight improvement I can make and I'm capable of doing it then it has to happen.  I have no idea if it's the last song I will write but I damn sure will treat it like it is so it gets the respect it deserves.

Onward to Take 11, tomorrow night.  Even if nothing else, I'm getting incredibly fast on the edits.  Getting a good audio sync manually on six tracks isn't such a bad trick and they're so close I can't hear even reverberation coming.  Reverb is what you get when sync is close not but perfect.

(Ed:  what about SMPTE?)

This one is highly-esoteric and it's a time code used originally for film but later for audio as well.  Using SMPTE, one can get different media sources synced right to the frame level which is usually 1/30th of a second.

Apple's Logic probably supports SMPTE but that's $200 and I don't even slightly want to screw with yet another piece of recording software.  I had licensed it some years ago but later I decided it wouldn't give me anything I didn't have already.  SMPTE isn't enough of an argument in favor of the software because I'm satisfied with the sync I can perform myself.


The next question is being satisfied with the overall video and that passed 99% probably about the second or third take but I want as much perfection as I'm capable of producing ... so ... Take 11 tomorrow night.  It's about a three or four hour run to do all the processing so there's only one shot each night.

No comments: