Friday, January 22, 2016

The Galaxy Guitar Has New Strings and the Sun Shines Again

More accurately, the sun will shine tomorrow after the strings settle down and stop stretching.  This is the brightest sound the strings will ever have and it's like a 33-rpm record:  it doesn't last long.

Changing the strings was in the nick of time because one of them broke before I had unwound it from the peg so that one was just about to go.

The new strings mean tomorrow for "The Sanctuary Song" but my preference is to do it tonight.  Right now Yevette is crashed but she should be up in a few hours so that makes the window for it.  Maybe it works to play for a while to see if the strings will be unstable and then go for it if not.


(After playing for a bit)

The strings aren't misbehaving much at all.  That couldn't go on for long because the headphones are incredibly destructive and will jack the ringing in my ears way up.

(Ed:  turn it down)

It doesn't work that way with electric guitar.  Turn it down and you lose the presence with the result being it's only a movie theme, safe for mother and the kids.

The volume is ok in open space because it doesn't have the impact that way.  Maybe it doesn't sound like sense but there's a huge difference so I don't use headphones much.


It turns out some type of commemoration is in order because that was the last set of strings from the Galactic Peace Tour.  I got many sets of strings and over a gross of Fender Thin (must be that kind) guitar picks because I knew I would run out of money and I wanted to lay in a supply of so many I couldn't possibly run out.

Well ... I ran out.  The picks ran out a while back but I managed to lay in a small supply of those and I don't break them as much as I once did.  I much prefer the sensitivity of thin picks but they're really easy to break.  I'm not sure why they don't break so much now but I think the technique must have evolved because my play isn't any softer.


No particular answer for that problem just now and the strings sound too, too good.  The strings aren't changed often enough so there's a striking difference after changing them so I definitely need to get this song recorded before they fade.


Update: after searching with The Whacker (i.e. huge flashlight), another set of strings was discovered.  String anxiety isn't as bad as Pick anxiety because you're out of business without some good picks.  I've tried credit cards, matchbooks, and even pocket change when in the throes of really bad Pick anxiety or maybe that's withdrawal after there are none left.

There's a band called "Playing for Change" but, in my case, it was playing with change.

No comments: