Tuesday, January 26, 2016

"The Man With the Shopping Cart"

I saw a man this morning
and he said, "How do you do?"
I told him I was doing fine
but, man, how about you?
He said I'm still smiling
and that you plainly see
It's the only thing I still have
which I can get for free.

He pushed a big, red shopping cart,
he used it for collecting cans.
He would trade them at recycle
and then they pay the man.
I told him don't miss this one,
there are many cans down here.
We don't have much in life now
but what we have we love to share.

I said I have to leave now
I need some aspirin for my head.
He said take it easy, brother
this stands me in good stead.
There are many, many cans here
it's a gold mine just for me
The others all want something
but this I have for free.

When I got back some later
still he crushed those cans
He smiled really broadly
and said this really helps my plans.
There are grandkids in my family
I must send them both to school
but there's no way that can happen
if I'm out playing the fool.

I said I know this story
I have nowhere else to go
My friend gives room to stay
and this much I always know,
there are many who give speeches
but most of them are fake
This time we share together
is something they can't take.

They laid waste to an entire people
they took their spirits and their souls
Where once stood a fine, proud culture
there's now an empty, smoking hole.
There's screaming from that pit
at least here we all are free
but we ignore that torment
it's not for you or me.

No comments: