Wednesday, January 27, 2016

"The Sanctuary Song" and "Andromeda Weeps" Broke Out Loud Last Night

There were two sessions playing yesterday and "Andromeda Weeps" broke out thunderous which surprised me as I knew it could rock but ... fark ... there are descending chords from B minor - C - A - Ab - Db minor and back up from F# - Ab, etc.  It drops all the way down into smoking hell on that one and climbs back out.  Fark.  Loved that (larfs).

"The Sanctuary Song" Take 11 went down last night and there were mistakes in it which would normally kill it but they may not because there was a lot of passion in it and this may be a keeper.  Absolute final heat death for a song is when it sounds like a recital.  If it sounds like that and I can't pull it back out then that one is a deader.  This one is definitely not a deader.

After all that I was wiped so the edits did not happen yet but I'm reasonably optimistic the cameras got good stuff.  I'm not sure when Yevette will crash but I can do edits with headphones and it's probably better like that anyway since it can get ferociously annoying to hear me playing tiny segments over and over to ensure I have a sync.


"Andromeda Weeps" was there in both sessions and I'm still surprised by how hard it hammered.  That also was recorded and who knows how that went.  There was no plan for that.  I just didn't want to stop playing after doing "The Sanctuary Song" and my arms are paying for it now.  There was other stuff beyond that but that was more in the for-the-hell-of-it category ... and there was a lot of that.  For-the-hell-of-it is a personal favorite category.

Something I noticed yesterday was the vocal was debeefed in the last recording.  I had reviewed again the previous recording and thought the vocal was kind of sissy.  I checked out the mike some more last night and it's not the same.  There's more beef to the actual live than there was in the recording so that's a puzzle to check in the edits today.  It might be better to do it this way in which I do the recording session in the evening and then the edits in the morning because the latter doesn't need darkness.

There were some mistakes in the guitar lines but that may be ok.  There were no stinking clams but there were mistakes of the reach falling a tad short but there's also some blistering which sounded highly ferocious.  Even with some mistakes it may have the coolness I want.

Note:  a clam is when you hit the wrong note and it's obvious.  The more obvious, the stinkier the clam.  Buddy Rich was a famous drummer and there's a recording of one his tirades about his fucking sidemen and they're hitting all these fucking clams and blah de blah.  You can probably find it on YouTube and it's a riot.

More to come on that.

No comments: