Tuesday, January 26, 2016

The Latest Less-Than-a-Million-Dollar Idea

The endless hustle for cameras continues and the specific lust object is the Canon XA-35 which is pro kit and goes for about $2500 a copy.  The LTAMD Idea for this camera is to get three of them and then do contract video shoots for local bands.  It seems practically possible in terms of the weight of the kit, etc.  Probably Yevette would want to go too so carrying the cams and tripods for them shouldn't be a big deal.

The regulars know I can do whatever I like with video editing so there's no problem turning out a professional-looking product and three cams are necessary for the reasons I've said previously in terms of visual dynamics.  If I were going for the maximal shoot, I would go with six cameras, two of which are roaming.  Yes, I'm serious ... I edit six tracks for the videos I make right now.

(Ed:  why not use the existing cameras for such a thing?)

Poor quality.  The best one is upper consumer grade but it's not particularly flexible.  The next after that is a $150 camera which doesn't even have a focus ring.  Have fun with manual focus with that one.

Note:  you won't.

We need yer basic cost / benefit analysis and that comes down to one shining detail.  How much is yer bar band willing to pay for this shoot.  Maybe it can be broken down to shooting an entire concert or performance a single song for one video.  Either way, it's one big-ass hassle to roll to wherever they will be performing.

My general thinking is $500 as a minimum for shooting a single video.  That gets a payoff for the kit in twenty gigs (roughly).

The biggest question is whether I can physically do it.

Note:  this is NOT a request for money but rather I study this as a possible solution and finding money to make it happen is secondary.

(Ed:  you don't even like country music that much!)

Mistah, you never heard a Texas bar band.  If that's country, the world needs more of it.  I have heard some slammin' bands down here which would send One Direction crying back to their mothers in shame for being so damn pitiful.

Note:  the Canon XA-35 has two XLR ports both with phantom power so this would permit taking high-quality audio from any source.  With three cameras, that gives six discrete audio channels so it would permit an extraordinary mixdown.


Risks:

Someone steals the kit.  There's no way I can defend it so any punk could do it.  I will not carry a gun under any circumstances.  I've been to one wake for a shot jammer and it's definitely not my preference to star in one.  He was capped in downtown Cincinnati when he was taking his kit to his car after a gig.  The wake was one splendiferous thing.

Bad deals.   Seems a simple thing with half up-front and half on-delivery.  Any burn on paying me is at most 50%.

Can bands afford it?  That's a big one as a startup band is spending practically everything on kit and not so much for publicity which often is putting leaflets on light poles in the area, that type of thing.  This likely would be a big-ticket investment for such a band.

Doing a 'lesser' shoot for a band with not much money isn't an option because videos which simply point a single camera at the subject aren't worth recording.  I have my standards and I won't do it.

(Ed:  that attitude can cost you money!)

That attitude can make me money because I won't compromise my reputation by presenting cheap-ass video.  It has to be a three-cam minimum.


Possible solution:

Open GoFundMe for it but this isn't begging.  A band can buy a 'video future' in which it will guarantee being in the immediate queue for a shoot after the project target is reached.  Anyone else can kick into it simply because they're tired of the Silas whining about toilet paper.  (If you don't know what that means, you're not keeping up ... previous article)

In that circumstance, my own videos become my portfolio so that means kill any which I do not think are of sufficient quality for this game.  The latest video will demonstrate that and I'm using some seriously cheap-ass kit to do it.

(Ed:  you're shy as a sea anemone)

There may not be a problem as presumably the band is expecting me and know already what I will do.  On seeing them, we get to know names and that social aspect but that's not difficult.  Then get to it to shoot some video.  It's a cocktail party in which people just chat that I'm lost.  So, wanna talk about sports??  NO!

This might even be feasible but with one huge caveat ... how the hell will any band know about the GoFundMe.  Moreover, what if it's a really bad band.  There are NAZI hate bands out there (seriously) and I'm not going even consider filming that poison except possibly as a documentary but there would be some type of quasi-contractual obligation from the GoFundMe.  That's remote but it's a huge stink if it happens.

No comments: