Monday, January 25, 2016

Possible Income Sources

Programming is out:  code for Web pages is some of the most claptrap rubbish on the planet and mostly because the connection to a Web page is transient so everything needs to be done over and over and over.  There is nothing defeatist in ruling it out because AJAX, etc are the standards and learning yet another programming language has zero attraction when they always fall into disuse in fairly short order and then you're stuck with a lifetime maintenance problem.

(Ed:  lifetime maintenance problem is lifetime salary)

True but that's only one step above hookin' for money.


Consulting for mainframes:  after five years out of it, there's no reason to consider it.  Besides, the most recent ten years were tech support for a bank so my soul is complete shit anyway.  Going back to one only guarantees I'll burn.

Note:  I did not do any of the corrupt things banks do nor did I know of them.  I had no part in it whatsoever.

(Ed:  that makes you sound like a NAZI camp guard)

Yes, I'm well-aware of that.  I see little difference between their actions and what banks do but the fact remains I did not know of what was happening.


Punk Second Life:  there is a plan which would be such a blazing outrage but the purpose is to specifically to create an outrage because it would also make money.  This is the Donald Trump Model but doing a parody of that limp dick isn't the plan.  There can't be too much revealed or it will give it away but I would have to write some new songs and play in an entirely different way (i.e. turn off the distortion and pretend the guitar is acoustic).

(Ed:  why?)

Because Second Life is so mainstream it needs to be punked.  It begs for it.  The Lindens have been catering to that kind of musical anemia since the first day.

The biggest problems are it's a fair amount of work to set it up and it's not clear how long it would play because it would be hilariously funny from my end.  I don't know how long I could do it without laughing.

The actual biggest problem is this, like programming, is only one step above hookin' when it pushes my music for a joke even if it makes money.


Writing for Pay:  it's the same as writing rock songs as these days everyone is a writer regardless of how much time one ever studied the matter and you end up with hordes of Jessica Valenti clones writing about nothing.

(Ed:  at least they get paid)

It also tells what editors want and do you seriously see anything on the blog which will pass in that kind of milquetoast environment.

(Ed:  you don't need boobs for a gig)

Sure you do.  Andy Borowitz is the only male writer left.

Note:  Borowitz writes satire for The New Yorker.

(Ed:  so you're saying women marginalized writing?)

What?  You're saying they didn't??  Look what they did to music.  There's been nothing except narcissistic twaddle in decades as a result of it.  When there are powerful women standing up, the country sets out deliberately to destroy them (e.g. Dixie Chicks).  Mediocrity is the deliberate purpose and you wind up with hordes of Taylor Swifts who have never written a memorable lyric in their lives.


Besides, there are several books people don't buy already.  The second one on "Abandoning Paradise" wasn't too bad but I fucked it up at the end with Scotland and I shouldn't have written a word about what happened up there.  None of that needed to be recorded for any reason at all and it's easily the darkest depth of Hell I ever encountered.  The first one was a book of poems which also didn't do anything and that one wasn't crap ... but it's also a book of poems so no particular surprise people didn't buy it.


Walmart Greeter:  there isn't enough endurance to handle eight hours of anything even if it's only standing there saying, 'hi, how are you.'  Don't think for a minute I haven't considered it but there's no way it would work.


Call Center:  I worked indirectly on one all my life through employment in tech support and that's not a formal call center but we got the calls after they had been screened for the screaming morons and we only got the ones who were relatively-moronic but could at least speak without dribbling.

Doing that for eight hours a day, it would be impossible from holding back on the real answer:  you're too fucking stupid to own a computer.  Buy a television and vote for Trump.


After that I'm down to stuffing envelopes.


I'm not depressed but there is gigantic anger focused on thieves and also one who accused me of being a thief.  She stole most of all since she stole my name or at least tried.  I did most of the damage to it because she had already started and it would have been her usual amateurish job.

What pisses me off the most is there was no reason to bring the drums inside to the Dallas Jam but I was asked and that's what got the truck open.  It had to be a musico who did it because they went straight for the very best stuff (e.g. rack of amplifiers, a flight case with video equipment, and I don't remember what else).

Ten grand down the toilet and not one of them raised a finger except to try to deny it ever happened or, at best, to blame me for it.  If you need to ask why I don't trust musicians, you really haven't been paying attention.

(Ed:  you have written glowing reviews of musicians)

I've written reviews for some and only if they were warranted.  These were also people who could not possibly have had anything to do with Dallas, usually because they're Euros.  I haven't played for an American venue ever since except once when Circe died.  However, that would be required to promote a CD but that only means more shit would get stolen.

(Ed:  you don't trust America at all?)

Why would I.  It's hasn't exactly done anything to redeem itself, has it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you ever considered being an editor? You could do it from home on your own schedule.

Unknown said...

Right now there's only one person who needs one but he couldn't afford that. I've tried helping him and his enthusiasm varies because it's a lot of work and the frustration for an editor is you really can't make the changes for an author, you have to mark where they are and then the author has to do it.

I'm not sure if there's a market for such a thing but it might be a possibility since everything has become so staid lately I doubt anyplace but "Anarchists Monthly" would consider my writing (larfs).

Note: I'm not an anarchist and I would like to see the current anarchy in America replaced with something sensible.