Saturday, January 30, 2016

Inverting Real and Virtual Video with Second Life

The blazing reveal comes in a flash from the Necromancer: Second Life could be brought into the Rockhouse with a large-scale green screen.  The back of the Rockhouse will disappear but that will reveal a Second Life sim and it's important in this context to keep the spacial relationships as close as possible (i.e. keep the floor consistent, etc).

(Ed:  this is what brings the missile silo into the Rockhouse!)

Fuckin' A, Bubba.


In case you're not seeing it yet, visualize the Rockhouse with a view looking at the wall at the rear of the room.  That wall becomes transparent and reveals some type of mash-up of a virtual missile silo in Second Life.  In this way, the song and the story can play at the same time.  The PA monitors will still be visible but that will give the impression of a concert inside the silo.


The inversion is to shoot footage in Second Life in which the Rockhouse is the stage in a venue or some such.

Note:  this part won't really happen except for shooting the video.  Making the Rockhouse appear in this visual will be something I will create in Final Cut.  It could happen in real-time but it would be a nightmare syncing it with the other video.

So there's the virtual video from Second Life which shows the Rockhouse is the stage.  Within that window into the Rockhouse is the view from a second camera pointed back to the opposite end of the room.  That will be a complete inversion of the original view from the Rockhouse into Second Life.


(Ed:  stoner skywriting)

Oh, really.  Just watch me, Cap'n Jack.  All of this is feasible and only waits for an idea to drive it.  There is no technical difficulty in any of it.  I know these spells ... I can do this.  Take another look at "The End of the World in Fort Worth" and see it for yourself.  I know the spells and just need to scrounge up the jingle to make them happen.  Add another $100 to license Camtastic to capture virtual video.


(Ed:  doesn't that inversion just make gratuitous mindfuckery?)

Yes and no, Cap'n.  Yes, it's gratuitous piffle if there is no reason to do it.  If it's genuinely germane to the story then it must be there.  Maybe the regulars followed the work-up for "The End of the World in Fort Worth" and saw I won't permit anything if it doesn't have a reason to be there.  Just because it's a cool trick doesn't make it necessarily a valuable one although it might be required in some later video.

I require a story of my videos now.   Others have had stories but not like this one.  I'm ruined for life after "The End of the World in Fort Worth" became a mini-movie because I expect them all to be at least that now.  I'm sure "Andromeda Weeps" will be because it's not vapor but I'm not going to release teasers of it.  The song exists and lyrics exist but the lyrics are still rough and coalescing.  I'm sure the concept is sound.


Visuals come to me like I just ate some Sunshine.  Some may dismiss that sort of thing as artificial trips but I've watched "The End of the World in Fort Worth" multiple times and it's really not a test to see if I will end up hating it.  Actually I like it and I'll be thinking, holy mackerel, you really did that.

There's only one rejoinder to that:  do it again.

(Ed:  what if no-one watches it?)

That doesn't change the need to do it.  If they don't watch it then it makes me think I need to make a better one.  If they do then I think I need to make another one so either way it comes out the same.


This is percolating in a huge way.  Popcorn is flying around all over the place and it will come shooting out of the windows like in "Real Genius" at this rate.

(Ed:  are you a genius?)

No but I have a lot of popcorn.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ed note. doesnt visuals come to anyone who just ate Sunshine

Unknown said...

Yah but usually you have to eat some and I don't recall any although I shouldn't rule out any possibility, being unstuck in time 'n all. If Vonnegut only came up with one idea, being unstuck in time would be my pick.