Sunday, August 13, 2017

"Say There, Mister President" #Poetry #Morphine

Say there, Mister President
I just need one little trick
since I need a bit of morphine
as I've been feeling kind of sick
and I know that doesn't matter
you really don't give a fuck
but I just thought that I might ask
to try out my bad luck

I really hate that morphine
but not as much as you hate me
with a reptile's indifference
and a rattlesnake's wicked glee
You've made it clear across the land
that no-one will be free
and especially the black ones
who don't much look like me

But the black man knows the freedom
and he knows it isn't here
when the streets aren't safe to walk
and the cops just bring more fear
He doesn't have my morphine
it's not a matter for the streets
since I just need the medicine
not a junkie's cold defeats

I'm not afraid of dying
since it's not some magic trick
but I really fuckin' hate it
when I start getting sick
It's not a thing for stonin'
as that way is your soul's goodbye
but there are certain times it's valid
it's not important to say why

- Colonel Arbuthnot Jones

Note:  whenever morphine has been prescribed previously, I got sick as a rat.  The history does justify the fear of it.

If this gives even a hint of any kind of an opiate romance then throw a Comment and I'll replace it with Zen Yogi.

I forgot Pink wrote an excellent song under this title and I mean no disrespect to her with my shoddy bit.

No comments: