Wednesday, August 30, 2017

"And So I Knew Her Word" #Poetry

When you're better at the dyin'
than you were about the livin'
maybe in your time
you learned about the givin'
since there's nothing I will keep
and nothing that I want
when fulfillment comes in giving
what I have from this sojourn

It's always been my nature
I like giving stuff away
but not so much to names
since I don't expect a pay
any different creates obligation
but it's only light that we possess
for a most unusual situation
when light is a sweet caress

I do have a little bauble
and I got it from my Mother
but the dibs have been claimed
from one who is much like her
That bauble is on the mike stand
and it has hung there many years
it has a lovely silver filigree
and she shines when she hears

the music still comes to her
and it did to her last day
she had lifted my heart up to the sky
when she had heard what I played
and she was the perfect mother
since she liked the jams she heard
she knew her life with crazy artists
and so I knew her word

The filigree goes to my sister
and now it's loaded up with sound
but she's accustomed to crazy artists
when they've always been around
it's the strange the way light will travel
when it's blown by this gentle breeze
but we rejoice the illumination
which will always set us free

- Colonel Arbuthnot Jones

No comments: