Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Overweight but What to Do About It #Science

There was an announcement yesterday that America has taken the No. 1 position from Mexico with the most obese people in the the world.  Even obese has become a euphemism since fat people can think, well, so long as I'm not obese then I'm ok.

You know they're not ok and getting through this without anyone getting angry will be a Sixth Order Miracle.

Ed:  what's a Seventh Order Miracle?

I don't know but I'm sure it's really beautiful, man.


Here's the problem.  It's global but apparently America has the highest concentration.  (Science Daily:  More than 2 billion people overweight or obese, new study finds)

Among the 20 most populous countries, the highest level of obesity among children and young adults was in the United States at nearly 13%; Egypt topped the list for adult obesity at about 35%. Lowest rates were in Bangladesh and Vietnam, respectively, at 1%. China with 15.3 million and India with 14.4 million had the highest numbers of obese children; the United States with 79.4 million and China with 57.3 million had the highest numbers of obese adults in 2015.

- SD

When America is so oriented toward consumption, it's not so surprising there's so much obesity but going any distance with that will inevitably get lost in the weeds relative to the actual point of what to do about it.


About all the Rockhouse has to soften this is some people come to be overweight due to illness of some form but you know well that's not true for most.  If we question why so many do it then that leads inevitably to being judgmental.  However, there's no judgment in the fact they're going to get sick and badly.

There's no double standard since the worst mistake I ever made was to start smoking cigarettes.  However, I recognize that fact and I pay dearly for it now.  Here's some collateral science on that matter which I've no doubt will confirm something you already know intuitively.  (Science Daily:  E-cigarettes potentially as harmful as tobacco cigarettes, study shows)

A study by chemists at the University of Connecticut offers new evidence that electronic cigarettes or e-cigarettes are potentially as harmful as tobacco cigarettes.

Using a new low-cost, 3-D printed testing device, UConn researchers found that e-cigarettes loaded with a nicotine-based liquid are potentially as harmful as unfiltered cigarettes when it comes to causing DNA damage.

- SD

There's additional difficulty for anyone trying to get healthy after cigarettes and / or obesity when many products offer assistance but do not really provide it.  That makes for tough navigation but there is real science on the matter.


Your chances are better with veggies.  (Science Daily:  Vegetarian diets almost twice as effective in reducing body weight, study finds)

Dieters who go vegetarian not only lose weight more effectively than those on conventional low-calorie diets but also improve their metabolism by reducing muscle fat, a new study published in the Journal of the American College of Nutrition has found.

Losing muscle fat improves glucose and lipid metabolism so this finding is particularly important for people with metabolic syndrome and type 2 diabetes, says lead author, Dr. Hana Kahleová, Director of Clinical Research at the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine in Washington DC.

- SD

When they say twice as effective and it's peer-reviewed, science, it's a safe bet the results are real.


The Rockhouse is sincerely sorry we have nothing more to offer than that since quitting any addiction is agonizing and that's well-known to the Rockhouse since I was never able to quit smoking cigarettes.

There's Dead Man Walking tattooed on my forehead in nicotine and that's also true for fat people but that's even worse than smoking in the damage it does.  The Rockhouse is particularly concerned about the attempts to relabel obesity as natural but that's absolute bloody rubbish since you won't find an overweight animal anywhere in Nature ... unless it's already being eaten.

Just as we resented the Marlboro Man on TV, we resent fat people saying obesity is ok; it's not.


In my own antique life, various eating difficulties have presented for some boring reasons but the consequence of that is my diet is much more vegetarian than it ever was but not so much by choice.  Over time I found the newer diet (in my life) is more satisfying, all the good things, etc.  I don't actually have a diet insofar as there's any regimen nor has there been in my life so, in this context, my diet is whatever I eat and I find it's largely vegetarian.


The message is simple but it's real and hopefully is of some use to you.

6 comments:

Cadillac Man said...

You mention attempts to relabel obesity as natural. Are these attempts by irresponsible scientific studies or illogical people? Of course, both have and do exist with cigarette smoking. However, I have never heard of a responsible scientific study or individual saying obesity ior smoking is natural or OK. The attempts to encourage people to quit smoking have admittedly been more successful. A negative social stigma has been created around smoking in the last fifty years similar to that around obesity that has always existed.

Personally, having abused most substances over the years, I found weight management to be the most difficult. I have been able to quit smoking, alcohol and recently caffeine consumption. I don't need them to survive. However, food is necessary and weight management requires moderation, not abstinence. I fail miserably at moderation. It is like telling me to never go over the highway speed limit. As Mark Twain said, "The best part of quitting smoking is the heavenly pleasure of going back'. He claimed to be able to quit smoking anytime he wished as he had done it a thousand times. The same can be said for going on a diet. UH!

Unknown said...

The relabeling I've seen has been entirely based on a misguided sense of feminism in which fat shaming is bad. On seeing that, I'm thinking, wtf, it worked for smokers since they've been shaming us for years.

I do understand the moderation and addiction to tobacco is clear but less so with ganja ... but it's still functionally an addiction. The ganja can be moderated but the cigarettes can't since they create the illusion of anything wrong with your chest they can make better. You know it's crap but do it anyway. That monkey has been on my back all my life and it's the only one I deeply regret.

It all goes back to phony images on MSM, social networks, etc which play to people with low self-esteem anyway so stop on down, honey. You're not really fat and you're beautiful just the way you are. Logic flies straight out the window.

Anonymous said...

JFK put together a lovely program. President Fitness Council. I grew up during that era. The beauty of that program was to increase ones calorie burn rate above a decent diet.
I like CM do a terrible job of moderation in epicurean delights. But because of my calorie burn rate I am not obewe. A little heavier than I would like but still physically fit.
My point is that public schools no longer require any physical activity anymore. Let's get back to 30 minutes of exercise twice a day in all schools and prevent obesity because change a bad habit is far harder than perfecting a good one.
I also agree with CM that the weight issue is far harder to control than alcohol nicotine. I can't comment on caffeine as I haven't tried to eliminate or for that matter to even limit.

Unknown said...

I remember the Vim and Vigor as well and I don't know how much that time motivated me but, like you, I've figured so long as I burn more calories than I take into me then I win. When I see obesity in the young going up, up, up, it gives me all the more reason to second the idea of bringing back some kind of P.E. for the little rotters.

Controlling an addiction when that which feeds it is available in any supermarket is going to be a monster bitch. Unlike cigarettes or alcohol, plentiful food is regarded as goodness everywhere ... and it is ... the moderation part is the bitch. For me it hasn't been difficult since, for whatever reason, a switch goes off and I just don't want anymore. I don't know why that should happen but I know it's not force of will. I'm just full and that's that. I do understand that makes me quite lucky but I have no idea how it works.

Anonymous said...

When a French pastry chef creates a plate with 2000 to 3000 calories.
The only answer is a long long walk because abstention is not a choice

Unknown said...

That's the difference since I can walk right past such things. Unknown if that's genetic or some unconscious discipline but my biggest personal question is where was that thinking when it came to cigarettes. Poof ... and cigarettes are ok. The pastries are not so good but go ahead and smoke up your lungs. Sure, that makes sense (larfs).