Tuesday, December 6, 2016

Why Markets Switch to LED Lighting for their Milk

Researchers discovered there is specific sensitivity in milk to light and fluorescent lights make it lose its natural taste quickly.  However, LED lights do not.  (Science Daily:  New led display lights help improve taste of milk, researchers find)

Milk is a big deal to me as I haven't lost the taste for it and I see a glass of healthful goodness but I'm really particular about the freshness.  Since I'm already losing out on freshness relative to the milk which was delivered to the door, I don't want to give any more away to lights ... but ... markets are said to be dealing with that although I have not noticed that at Wal-Mart.  I haven't looked either but I will the next time I go there.

I remember when the milkman delivered milk on a freezing morning.  If someone didn't bring it into the house quickly enough then it would grow that frozen milk gooseneck out of the top of the bottle when it froze.  Good luck explaining that to your mother.


Wal-Mart will offer milk with up to a week's variability in expiration dates and I'll search them until I'm satisfied this is the freshest jug in there.  They put bigger dates on the bread now so the single reason I take some old glasses with me is to check out the milk.

One of the nutrients in milk -- riboflavin -- oxidizes when it is exposed to fluorescent lights.  This reaction not only causes the taste to change, but can also reduce the nutritional content of milk.  Duncan's tests show that when milk is stored in the traditional translucent plastic jugs, these reactions can take place in a little as two hours.  Opaque milk packaging that protects riboflavin and other nutrients from lighting helps to deliver that fresh, sweet, rich taste.

- Science Daily


Most of the one-gallon jugs of milk I see are in translucent plastic so that makes it of high interest whether Wal-Mart uses LED lighting.  They're not likely to switch just because I write a letter but it may be a good reason to get it somewhere else.


I don't see any sci fi extension but we could have a peach of a conspiracy theory if we put something in the milk in the way they put chemicals in contrails.  That way we can get our little nanobots into practically every kid in the country and take over the world, man.

Someone tell Alex Jones about the milk conspiracy theory as I discovered yesterday that loon is still alive.  I thought he had been eaten in the Hedgehog Uprising but apparently that's not so.  Regrettably, I heard all the hedgehogs who ate him either went crazy or died.  So sad.

No comments: