Thursday, December 22, 2016

The Backup Came and It's Exceptional

The problem to solve was a Lacie 3 TB USB 2.0 disk drive got political (i.e. it wasn't making sense anymore).  That one was retired because it was pointless keeping it online so that left a gaping hole in the Rockhouse backup strategy.  So things remained for some while.

Then came a highly-serendipitous move from Lotho and, presto, now there's a Western Digital 4 TB USB 3.0 disk beside the other one.


Glorious as I'm sure the new one may seem to you, it won't do anything.  Its only purpose is to serve as the Time Machine archive disk since it can hold everything else I've got.  That's gigantic in my life since everything remaining of decades of computing is on the first disk.

Thank you, Lotho.  Although it may seem as boring as a box of Kleenex and it is, the backup will be worth its weight in Spanish doubloons if it's ever needed.  Meanwhile, it won't do anything except blink, blink, blink to show it's on the job.

Yevette, this is the same drive I recommended to you for exactly the same purpose and it's $129.  (Amazon:  WD 4TB My Book Desktop External Hard Drive - USB 3.0 - WDBFJK0040HBK-NESN)


- Insert lengthy and boring editorial on why using a cloud for backup is not an adequate solution -


The round thing is part of a grinder.  To use it, you put your bud in the absent top part, grind it up, and it ends up in the bottom part.  Scoop some out of there with the one-hitter and, yahoo, it's a party.

Ed:  I thought it was spiritual?

Yah, that too.  It's like a spiritual party, that's it.

Ed:  right.  Got it.


I did get it right about the need for the ten-port USB hub since it isn't possible to daisy-chain one disk drive behind the other.  That required a free port on the iMac which I didn't have until I unplugged another device and plugged it into the seven-porter.

Ed:  you have too many things attached to the computer!

Imagine, if you will, how many times I've heard that since I got my first machine.  Even that first Commodore VIC-20 had a board coming out of the back of it with multiple expansion cards stuck into it.  That must have been mid-seventies so there's been plenty of time to come up with maniacal things for them to do.

There isn't any fooling about with plugs after I get the kit stabilized.  That's why I do it.

No comments: