Thursday, December 29, 2016

Systems Programmers Wake Up Fast ... and Pissed

The conversation always begins, "I'm sorry to wake you ... BUT ..."

I don't know if systems programmers come prewired with instant-on laser detectors or if we train ourselves over time but the result is we get phone calls when we're dead asleep and somebody needs something.  These days if it's a phone call and not family then I can tell them to go away and pray to Jesus instead.  Previously, going back to about '78, I could not do that and I so completely do not miss it.

Until tonight ...

Yevette began with the preamble as above but still there was the hope I could deal with it without getting up ... and then she said it wants my Apple ID and my eyes went wide-open.

What did you do?

What did you fucking do?

I mean to tell you, full-bore prickshit.

Professional decorum is still there as much as I still hear Drill Sergeant Harvey screaming to straighten up but I didn't know if the data was still there due to what was showing.

What did you do?

What exactly did you do?

You're an asshole, Silas.


I apologize for being an asshole and the data is now recovered ... but ... (sob) I'm still an asshole.

Note:  this is crap as I wrote earlier snark never lasts long here.  (Ithaka:  Back from the I-20 Pickup Truck Dances on the Way to VA)


She may be ok with driving to the terrorists to get some soda since I don't drive during P.C.H. (Primary Cop Hours).  I've driven thousands of miles stoned enough for San Quentin but now it's a matter of principle plus the prospect of a billy club in the booty from the narco psychos.

Note:  I don't drive stoned in daylight hours either as the principle is real.  If a kid gets dead because he did something stupid and it wasn't even my fault, he's still the deader kid and I'm still the live stoner.  Ain't going to happen.


There's no need for an editorial on dealing with system things on computers since some of you take care of computers for other people and know how it goes.  The litany is always the same, isn't it.  If you don't know what something does then don't screw with it.

They do it anyway, tho, don't they (larfs).

I did promise Yevette some OJT time on things which are easy and add quick organization which translates into easy for her to find things.  A great deal about a Mac is intuitive but not all of it.


None of the above is at all indicative of the loss of any Christmas glow as the USB 3.0 hubs arrived today.  One has brought all the hygiene Doctor Krankeit could have hoped to my system and there was a smaller one for Yevette's system because it's not so diseased with multiple USB devices.

The result with Yevette's system is it's now kitted out full bore and she can make complex videos if she likes.  She knows she still needs a backup drive and that will happen when it's possible.

There's one thing which has not quite clicked yet and it wouldn't since she has never had the capability previously.  The camera kit I have been using all long will all work equally well with her system and there's an SD card reader built into her iMac to make it effortless.

Since that probably won't click and why should it, she will either see this or I will tell her.

Um, Yevette, you know all of those cameras back there would work for you too, right?

Then I just have to sit back to watch the wheels turn.  That means I could ... and then I could ... and ...

That will be just swell.  She wanted the ability to edit video and she's got a whole lot more than that now.  Yahoo.


I am pleased as punch with the ten-porter and Doctor Krankeit would love it.  There were two previous USB hubs and one was only in action to provide power to the USB 2.0 hub.  Both of them are now junked and the replacement ten-porter has nifty blue LEDs to indicate which ports are live.  Unlike the previous and now junked USB 3.0 hub, all of these ones work and I've verified the charging port will handle the iPad.  The 'Pad now lives on the physical desktop and previously it was just kibble because most of the time the battery was dead.

The result is I have one free port on the iMac and three more on the Anker hub so I have as many free USB 3.0 ports now as when the iMac was delivered.

The replacement is an Anker ten-port USB 3.0 hub and I give it five stars.  You can get it for fifty bucks at Amazon.

Note:  the tenth port is strictly for charging and cannot be used to communicate with the iMac.  In terms of access, the Anker hub actually has nine ports.  Know that ahead of time and all is good.


This is all part of the L.I.S. (i.e. Lotho-Induced Surge) which began with the addition of a backup drive to the system.  From that sprang a small number of relatively low-cost items which pulled the entire physical desktop into excellent order and functionality.

Ed:  does this mean you can stop washing your hands twelve times a day?

Probably not.  There are germs everywhere.


For you this is probably hideous but it's beauteous to me:


Normally this camera goes into the open slot and that's why the unplugged cable.

That area in the back corner isn't too hygienic but that's the last bit left.  There's a perfectly good track pad in that pile and it could still be useful so there's a bit more to do but now I turn on the light every so often to review the kingdom and it is good (larfs).

OCD is when you see a crossover with two of those wires and you feel the need to do something about it ... which I have now done.

Once again, the kingdom is good.

Thank you, Lotho.  You really did set this in motion and the most effective way to describe what came of it is in telling you there has been more playing in the last few days than in previous weeks.

No comments: