Monday, December 5, 2016

What If Robots Come in Peapods

Nanobots are not part of this one since Peapod is a supermarket delivery system in effect in New England, mid-Atlantic states, and even gets to Chicago.  It even goes to Wisconsin and it's mystifying why anything at all goes to Wisconsin after Scott Walker.

With Peapod, you will place your supermarket order with your computer and select a delivery day and time.  The selection includes almost everything available in the market including meats and produce.  At the delivery time, a van will arrive at your place and some cheerful person will unload your food, even bringing it inside the house for you.

I'm sure there must have been a service charge but I don't remember how much so it's almost sure to have been minimal.  You will likely want to tip the delivery person, unless you're an asshole, but the food wasn't prepared for you so twenty percent is, in my view, extreme.  Even with tip, it wasn't much for what they do.

Peapod Grocery Delivery Service

Five star recommendation as they were always reliable, didn't cost much, and added a service I had never seen anywhere else.

Ed:  you didn't have time for shopping?

Go to work for a bank.  Find out for yourself what having cancer is like.


Ed:  where are the robots?

Patience, Watson.  We're getting to that.

Visualize that market set up like Amazon and the delivery vans are loaded by 'bots instead of humans.  All they need is a stiff to carry the stuff into your house and it's 99% automated before that.

Ed:  that means a robot will be picking my tumaters for my table and I ain't havin' that!  I need to choose them myself.

I know what you mean and I'm partic'lar about my tumaters too so we need 'bots with tumater knowledge.

Ed:  wtf is 'tumater knowledge?'

You know exactly what it is since that tumater has to have exactly the right S.F. (Squish Factor), doesn't it.  If there's much squish at all then it's overripe and no damn good, right?

It has to have the right color and it has to be consistent without blemishes.

Ed:  it has to be the right kind since I don't want the fat, lumpy tumaters; I want the smaller ones for better taste and texture.

Aren't you the fookin' prima donna ... but, yah, so do I.

A robot can do all of those things.  Their tactile sense is impossibly acute relative to ours and so is their sense of color.  It's highly likely a 'bot can select food better than I once they're suitably programmed to do it.  They can explore other planets so surely they can select a tumater.


Start the countdown until a current supermarket becomes known as a 'brick and mortar legacy market' while the 'bot markets will be much larger, Amazonian in size for cost efficiency of scale, and won't be designed for humans to even go inside them.  Someone is almost certainly trying to figure out how to pull that off right now.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Seems like a good service to me--I know they do it at Krogers and Walmart.I does not cost much $4-5 and you just pull your car up and they load your car up for you. I saw a news piece on the service and they brought up the same point about 'maters and such. In the piece they said the "pickers" are trained to select the "best produce". And they mad a point to say "no tipping required" ML

Unknown said...

That's a helpful, time-saving service but Peapod spoiled me on what it can be. You show me it could be happening anywhere with one more step as I did not know part of the service exists in Cincinnati as well.

I really didn't mind the tipping for the Peapod delivery person because he would bring it right inside the house if that's what I wanted. My much greater preference would be if they were paid a fair wage but they're not so I tip. I still do, by the way. Even today it's 20% when we go to Waffle House because we po' but we ain't cheap (larfs).