Monday, July 4, 2016

Turning a Trip into a Big Fish Story

Mystery Lady suggested the Tales from Under the Rainbow Umbrella and that sounds like a good theme because we like rainbows more than pride anyway; that just goeth before a fall, right.

The general schematic for getting to Greece was it sucked here so I unloaded everything I had and that plus the help of some friends got me over there.  That's sexy like reading a Republican Love Manual so we need some Big Fish spin.  It's probably too much to say I had been in Kansas and I was blown over to Greece in a tornado.  It's not unreasonable to consider it but maybe not such a good idea to (cough) re-imagine the "Wizard of Oz."

Note:  re-imagine is the 21st Century weasel word for plagiarism.

(Ed:  aren't you re-imagining Garrison Keillor?)

Only insofar as the purpose is to tell stories but I hardly feel he will be threatened since these tellings start about the same age he retired.  That's not meant as disrespect to him but rather the idea of comparison is silly.


For the rough cut, call it a tornado as the vehicle and that gets our hero over to Greece for a period of, holy fuck, what did I just do.  I knew it was one-way when I left so go there ... even when I have no idea where it is.

That sounds just about as vacant and nebulous as any plan could possibly be so it's hardly suitable for a Big Fish story ... but ... you haven't heard about how I found the Mouse Castle (i.e. Pontikokastro).  It actually took several tries to find it even though it was less than a kilometer from where I lived.

So our hero finds the Mouse Castle and perhaps that gives reason to mention Pheia, the city which had been there before an earthquake around the Third or Fourth Century which submerged it.  Katakolo now lies on the new shoreline.  That gives a novel perspective on the ephemeral nature of existence, regardless of how concrete it may seem.

Yah, there's a story in that.


Mystery Lady, you're right as it would be huge fun putting this together with you.  The vibe is right as there's never negativity in discovery and the material is inherently interesting because what kind of loon goes to Greece when everyone else says the country is collapsing (i.e. other than me).


There are some things I know I don't want and the first is some kind of documentary / travelogue.  The purpose isn't to demo my killer photographs, videos, or wild sexual experiences on the beach with nubile Greek goddesses ... mostly because none of that happened.

My plans go a bit deeper than they often seem and that's because of the fundamental university student principle:  never, ever let anyone else see how hard you work.  It has to look effortless for the full points.  Yah, yah, you know who you are.

There mustn't be a primary purpose of using the stories to push the music videos I did make over there and I see them as ok in a by-the-way context but the story can't simply be a wrapper for the videos ... well, it just can't.


The biggest trick of all is doing this without getting nostalgic about it.  The primary purpose out of this is in complete accordance with the Big Fish Philosophy:  it was a cool thing but a good story makes it even cooler and maybe even more than it was but without making anything a lie.

(Ed:  getting blown to Greece by a tornado isn't a lie?)

It's a metaphor, matey, mate.  It's poetic license (larfs).

No comments: