Saturday, July 16, 2016

"Miss Congeniality 2" with Regina King as Tina Turner

There was reluctance going into it since it's a sequel and the first movie already gave up the best trick with Sandra Bullock doing an outstanding Pygmalion as she transforms from the duckling to the diva.  The bad ass beauty motif is a great one and, dayum, she is so unbelievably beautiful.

The sequel had to follow that but the first one already used up the best moves so the thinking before it started was it probably has no chance.  After it rolled a little bit, I was getting hooked into it but then Sandra Bullock's heart got crushed into the dirt.  From that I was thinking all the more, this movie is heading for a nose dive into a volcano.


Then we meet Regina King and she's the Bad Ass Black Woman Cop who gives an exceptional contrast because Bullock plays the cosmetic creampuff but King has her hair cut short and she's tough.  At first she comes over as some kind of hard female and she is but the movie evolved and I was already hooked with what's happening here?

The interplay between Bullock and King was delicious and the writing was surprisingly clever.


The Mandatory Gay Fashion Designer was back again and he carried it off as convincingly as Michael Caine.  Unknown if gay people get bent by being portrayed as poofs as I've known hardly any RL gay guys who behaved anywhere near like that.

Dialog with him is deliciously sharp as well so the movie was building charm all around itself.  The thought overcoming any reticence about the movie to start was Sandra Bullock could charm a rattlesnake into singing love songs and, sure enough, there was zero shortage for charm throughout.


After telling Yevette about it, she was surprised I had never seen it previously since she's seen it, 'oh, hundreds of times.'  She wasn't quite ready to buy my thinking this one was better than the first but this one breaks out bigger for me.

The interplay between Candice Bergen and Sandra Bullock in the first one had a twisted coolness but I love the dynamic of the interplay between Bullock and Regina King.  It was a grand surprise as King really was killin' it and you bet she can, she is one dangerous female.


There's nothing else for it and I have to go for the full chick flick package by watching "Hope Floats."  This is in the "Sleepless in Seattle" category of movies in which no-one dies in horrible agony so maybe the Rockhouse needs a generic category of Chick Flicks Which Don't Suck.


Part of the fascination was Regina King reminds me in a big way of Michele Obama and I was so surprised by that I had to look because I couldn't place her name.  I got hooked on the idea and had to look at actual pictures of them.  They don't have the same eyes but I see a whole lot of similarities.  Here are both of them:


Ladies and gentlemen, Miss Regina King:




Ladies and gentlemen, the First Lady:


No comments: