Monday, July 4, 2016

No Making a Big Fish Out of a Guppy

Well, no, the Big Fish theme won't go away soon because everyone loves Big Fish stories.

Example:

I still remember Warrant Officer Scott in the Army and he was an old guy with thirty+ years into the military and there was no way he was going to retire because he had outlived everyone else. So mostly now he told stories after lunch. Sometimes he would fall asleep after that but they were such great stories and no-one would have ever thought of ratting him out for sleeping.


That's something I wrote elsewhere but it applies and Warrant Officer Scott wasn't a Big Fish but he had such fine stories.


The Big Fish we want isn't some larger-than-life guy but rather a possibly larger-than-life story.  Becoming the fish looks cool in movies but I don't expect a high probability of that in my own fish story.

Cat and I talked about it and her perspective was of a holiday and maybe that's not a Big Fish story.  From my standpoint, it wasn't a holiday because I had no way to get back and much of my thinking was about a way to stay there.  When I developed the Web site for Katakolo, I thought perhaps this leads to other things.  It did not but it was worth the try.

In my life, extreme specialization was a big advantage but it's no advantage at all in this one.  Some people don't specialize but they can fix walls, roofs, cars, maybe even anything you bring them.  You can't get any more portable than these people.  I have almost zero portability since the nearest mainframe was probably in Athens, five hours drive time away.


Maybe it's important to be clear my purpose isn't to be a Big Fish but rather I saw some or maybe a lot of Big Fish things along the way.  And this was The Way for me.  Everything has been a pilgrimage for quite a while, originally for the location of that painting I did when I was seventeen.  That was the basis for the Galactic Peace Tour.

Well, yes, I often see things which aren't there.  You do it too or likely you wouldn't do anything, you wouldn't have a reason.


There are kozmikal things which come at Pontikokastro and particularly regarding Pheia because I was standing on the same location which got ripped and belted so hard by an earthquake it dropped the entire city under the Mediterranean.  There's not anything at all to prevent exactly the same thing happening again except for whatever geological science matters for that but my non-geological mind only knows Greece suffers big deal earthquakes frequently.

Cat doesn't want to analyze things into the ground but I do and I'll do it under the water if that's what it takes for the view.   That aspect of physical transience in everything, not just our feeble bones, is a fundamental part of existence which most ignore and I believe it's to their detriment.  That something is transient amplifies its value while its here.


Maybe Katakolo is a Phoenix after Pheia went down but that's too obvious and we don't want to teach or preach, we only want to make the observation.


There won't be any attempt to make something funny if it wasn't already but there's inherent comedy in some freak going to Greece without knowing much of anything about the language and many Greeks who speak little or no English.  Comedy is inevitable.

No comments: