Sunday, December 6, 2015

The Catch-22 at the End of the World

This isn't about THE end of the world but rather my end of the world ... but which isn't the end of the world ... it only seems that way.

Central to "The End of the World in Fort Worth" is the salvation from fear in the musical Sanctuary and whatever else that means but also central is the idea of self-annihilation to achieve fulfillment; so long as exists a preoccupation with self, fulfillment, Nirvana or so cannot be achieved.  The same thinking is why there is such irritation regarding endemic narcissism because you can't possibly get there that way.


The Catch-22 in the song is it should be 'non-performance art' to fully manifest the annihilation of self because then there is no question of who is doing it.  Regrettably, that also turns it into the Emperor's New Clothes and, by the way, I love the hat.

The pointlessness of the postulation is not as obvious as it may seem because I have thought of this as a cop for failing to deliver the song.  There is no change in perception as it's definitely a failure if I do not deliver it ... but I do see it as compromising the art of it to actually perform it.


In a large way, the message is already delivered because it's not a complex thing to regard the endemic fear in people and music is peace from that.  Unknown if it's clear the music is not simply a respite but a solution.

So the song is another way, hopefully prettier, to say the same thing but, as above, it's me doing that and we are really, really fed-up with people talking about themselves.

(Ed:  you're talking about yourself now)

The discussion is in the context of the music and I don't see it as narcissism in terms of I don't think I can do it ... love me, love me and reassure me.  Whether I bullshit myself with that is your call.


In the focus on the music, there is no room for violence.  Without the ever-present fear, there is no need for guns.  Jim Jefferies said it in his Australian best, "How many fucking people do you think want to kill you, mate?"

Answer:  probably not many, if any.  Right now people don't believe that but, here at the Rockhouse, we have never seen evidence to believe anything else.  There are no guns here (shrug).

Example:  a guy walks in here, picks up the Galaxy Guitar, and says, "I'm taking it because ... fuck you."

There is nothing I can do about this and it would make no difference if I had a gun.  Stealing a guitar is not a capital crime and do you seriously believe I could / would ever play her again if I had to kill someone to keep her.

Yah, we know rhetorical questions have been asked so many times on social networks that we can't have nice things anymore because the world has stopped to ask, wtf, was I supposed to answer that?

So, no fucking way I could ever play her again.  Good chance the next round from the weapon would go into my head.


And, as you may have guessed already, I did not record anything last night although I did think of this ... while I was demonstrating my skill as a slacker wastrel.

Oh, oh, oh, love me, love, I don't think I can do it (larfs).

No comments: