Friday, May 26, 2017

"Denis Johnson Flies to the Moon"

Denis Johnson had an answer
with Seconal from the Moon
but you know that's not where it started
and La Luna is still in tune
with all the ancient melodies
and all the oldest songs
but she knows no-one is listening
they have been gone for far too long

There's a twinkle in a rainbow
from some impossibly distant star
and even that is better
for people than where they are
when there's no way for them to get there
and no-one would ever ask
they know it's another's joyride
and we will stay right here

with our Seconal
and our pain killers
and our driftwood in sharp suits
with our hobnail boots

Hut two three four
who you callin' a fuckin' whore
The Devil made me do it
and I tried to push him away
but he's got a lot of money
and he said he always pays
You know he will really do that
but then it's time to say

Yes, I signed that contract
but I don't want it anymore
I really just can't do it
but it doesn't make me a whore
I'm begging for my soul back
even though I think I just don't care
I just want to keep my Seconal
and I'm sure it's around somewhere

- Some asshole

No comments: