Thursday, December 19, 2013

Getting this Situation Gigworthy

It won't be complete until the lasers are firing but upcoming gigs won't use video.  Besides, I don't have any fog juice and lasers are the coolest with fog.  Yes, it is quite likely the stuff you put in your kid's bubble machine uses the same stuff and, yes, the principle is exactly the same.  Musicians love bubbles.

Except Ozzy Osbourne.  He does not like bubbles at all.  The stage crew set up a bubble machine as part of his rock show.  When they did a demo for him he shouted, "I'm the Prince of Fucking Darkness.  There are no bubbles around the Prince of Fucking Darkness!"

So, no bubbles in the Texas Rockhouse.  The audio levels will get twerked all day long but that's fine and I will be doing a sound check with Cat a couple of hours before playing.

I know the audio goes out on the stream plenty hot enough to hear it.  That twerking is done and verified.

There won't be any back tracks as I need a special Secret Sam cable to connect the iPad to the looper. I had it through Scotland but it didn't quite make it the rest of the way.  This is ok, too, as connecting it to the looper is a horrible way to do it.  That's how I did it when I was in Greece and, amazingly enough, it was horrible to use it then too.  The best solution is to run the iPad into the mixer but that requires a different Secret Sam cable and finding a mini-DIN to 1/4-inch cable is going to be some kind of a good trick.  Overall this isn't a huge concern and I'll find a cable eventually.

(Hmmm...maybe I can use the laptop to drive it.  More experimenting coming.)

The feedback is just peachy.  I love screwing with feedback.  I think it's so fantastically delicious when you wiggle a note for some sustain coolness and the note hangs out in space hovering on the edge of feedback without quite going all the way over the edge.  That is a highly-edible experience.

The drummer is hammering quite nicely and you'll definitely notice it relative to the gigantically lame beats I was using in the Boss RC-50 looper.  Now it sounds like the kick drum is being kicked rather than someone tapping on it with his nose.

Singing is unlikely.  Lara opens tonight and only an idiot would start singing after her beautiful voice.  It's not that I'm afraid of singing as I know I suck but it's my own brand of suckness so that makes it alright ... just don't do it following a nightingale.

It's especially cool for me as Cat has never heard me do this.  This part is very special.

There's still a variable in the important factor of not falling over in the gig.  The longest I've gone has been about half an hour now so this part will be interesting.  There's a standard to uphold, tho.  Paul Delph was dying of AIDS when he gave one of the most killin' rock shows I have ever attended.  Off-stage he needed people to help him stand but on-stage you would never know there was a thing wrong with him.  You can't get any more bad-ass than that!

Yah, I want something for Christmas. I want to not suck in the gig. Santa can bring that, right?

No comments: