Friday, December 27, 2013

Christmas on Boxing Day

We went to a Christmas dinner yesterday and no-one likes too much RL detail online so let's just say they've been family for years and it's been over a year since seeing any of them.  As to why Christmas was on Boxing Day, well, this is the State of Texas and here you do things however you like.  So I was going out there to be sociable as Yevette was going with her son but she wanted company.  It was still Christmas so let's go.

I was going to beg off as the Mutant Malaria or whatever it was is fading but it's not gone.  I'm glad I didn't as it was interesting talking to the Texas Tallboy on the way out there.  He's optimistic that Texas will one day be a blue state and he's also optimistic for his generation dealing with what Washington is doing.  Frankly, I don't see it but I hope he is right.  (This is not the CNN view of Texas but rather the real thing.  The Texas Tallboy is a down home Texan and, no, he doesn't wear a cowboy hat nor does he chew tobacco.)

Something else that was very cool was all the deer.  I saw more deer at one time than I had ever seen before and there were at least eight of them.  We saw multiple groups of them along the way but it wasn't light enough to get any pictures.


(Ed:  if this is an article about food, I'm gone.)

No worries, bro.  It's enough to say we started eating almost the moment we arrived and there were multiple courses of the Christmas repast.  To go beyond that and tell you of the ensuing digestive process is probably more than your Christmas experience needs.

(Ed:  and no pictures?)

It's a deal.


I thought this was the extent of it as it was a huggy time with lots of happy Christmas and everyone got stuffed on Christmas goodness.  That all made for a very sweet time plus I learned that one of the kids will be getting married in just about a week and a half.  She's a sweet kid and I wish her a lifetime of joy.  (We all know life doesn't quite work that way but, hey, it's Christmas, roll with it.)

Yevette's mother surprised me altogether as she had a gift for me.  I haven't seen her really in years and yet she remembered.  See above about Texas Christmas!

In part, Yevette wanted me to see her mother's house as she does well with life and had moved into a luxy place that's well outside the city.  And this place is enormous, really enormous.  I don't care much for the exterior appearance of new Texas houses ... BUT ... the interior was exceptionally well-designed and was very elegant.  It was very big but still homey and someone, I think Yevette's mother, had obviously put a lot of thought into it.

(Ed:  no steer horns on the walls?)

I'm telling you, bro.  Texans are cooler than you think ... but they've got guns.  Don't screw with 'em.

Some more coolness is that there's a chessboard in the lawn with heavy, all-weather chess men which are all about half a meter or so tall.

(Ed:  is it wise to play chess with someone who owns a gun?)

Your call, bro.  Your call.

No comments: