Monday, February 20, 2017

Never Met Anyone Who Never Went to Church

In my life, I've been in churches a few times and the first was to visit the one designed by Frank Lloyd Wright in Madison, Wisconsin.  There wasn't a service, we just wanted to look at it.

Yes, it was highly cool.

Other than that, I went to some weddings and a couple of funerals but I've never been to an actual service in which a preacher gave a sermon and people prayed, sang, and did whatever churchie stuff.

I did attend a baptism at a Baptist church once but I don't remember what the preacher said.  I saw that gigantic tank above the congregation in which the preacher didn't just splash some holy water, he drowned a full-grown woman in a large transparent vat of it.

I like the baptisms the best since weddings make sense to celebrate the undying love and funerals make sense because we have to do something with the deaders but baptisms make no sense whatsoever.

The general premise is the baptism will symbolically wash away any sins even when a baby doesn't fucking have any and it will be born into the world of God's love which is, well, around here somewhere and I'll explain that to you the best I can despite being a dipsomaniacal priest who lost his faith ages ago.

It's glorious and I love that.  There are mad things humans do but baptisms are some of the best for textbook Anthropology.  Take lots of notes for one of the strangest things people do.


So Yevette asked if I have really never been to a church service.

I raised my hand and said, "Ma'am, if you have never before seen a real live pagan, you're seeing one now.  I've been a heathen since the day I was born."

She laughed and said she had never met one before.


And that's the trouble, you see; robos don't go to church either.

Ed:  robos are part of the war against religion?

You're way ahead of the crowd, Dagwood.  Robos are part of an elitist liberal conspiracy to take your jobs and rob you of your religion.

Ed:  do you really believe this bullshit?

It's not a question of what I believe but rather what robos believe.

Ed:  nothing?

Right you are, Dagwood Bumstead.  It's the Age of Electro Nihilism.

Ed:  we already have that on Twitter!

Nah, that's Electro Anarchy.  On Twitter, they believe something but they're not sure what.  Nihilism is when you don't believe anything at all.


Robos won't be happenin' until they understand the concept of just fuckin' around.  They're either on, off, or idling for a specific purpose but you know what just fuckin' around means.

Joe:  what are you doing?

Schmoe:  just fuckin' around

Joe:  anything good?

Schmoe:  I went to a baptism.  Sure was strange.

Joe:  cool

Let's see your nihilistic, elitist liberal conspiracy, church-warring, artificial intelligence robo figure that out, huh?


Ed:  usually you embrace something at the end of these little ditties.

Let's go with Embrace the Electro Anarchy.  Believe in something even if you don't know what it is.

No comments: