Thursday, December 8, 2016

Mystery Lady Sent a Field of Buttercups

Back in October, I wrote "Finding Heaven in a Field of Buttercups" (Ithaka) and Mystery Lady was moved by the story to the point where she painted what she saw in it.  Not only that but she made a series of them to tell the story her way and the result was gorgeous.  Thank you so much and sure I got emotional seeing it.

Yevette said, and I quote, "You are fucking amazing!"

She also said she does not know how you do it and I know it must involve your new techniques but I have no idea how you do it either.  The result is Palo Duro right in front of me and the colors fit perfectly with the Impressionist nature of the work.  It's brilliant.

I'm deeply touched as no-one ever undertook such a thing before in translating a virtual vision from what I did to make something real out of what you saw.  It's touching that anyone would see the vision and you most of all.  In a time which is so deeply-critical, you never seem to succumb to it and that will by itself is a beautiful thing.


It's quite likely I was high when I wrote the story and others have their opinions on such things but the only important question to me is whether it makes a difference for something like this.  I really don't know and I'm not even sure it matters since you know already how it works with your own visions:  let it flow and see what happens.


It's an incredible thing to me since my vision of it is something I see but I really don't.  If that makes sense to anyone then you're the most likely one.  I've always had trouble seeing myself as an artist but there's no trouble recognizing it in anyone else and it truly got me misty as I went through it.

Writing about politics or science is an easy thing for me but generating visions on demand is more complex and you seem to do it effortlessly.

You're a marvel!


Mystery Lady specifically requested me not to upload a copy of the work and of course I will honor that.  Quite apart from anything else, if I shot a photograph of it and uploaded the result it wouldn't capture the delicacy.  This is something which needs to be in front of you so you can see it, feel the paper, and take yourself to Palo Duro Canyon.

I would love to share the work but definitely not without permission and also definitely not without an image which is true to the original.  A photograph doesn't work for that and probably could not.


I've been lying down most of the morning, in part because it's so damn cold and also because things aren't so good.  I did get some food into me this morning and it's still fighting but I'm winning so far.  So I'm on-station for a phone call and look forward to it.


Updated:

Mystery Lady, it's looking less likely for a call today and the next opportunity is on Saturday but it seems weekdays work better for you so Monday then.  If not today then hopefully soon.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I called around 12:20 Cincy time but got a message about not being set up for voicemail. I did not try again and cannot call now. I'm glad it arrived. I had fun doing it. Like I said, just a simple little sketch on acetate film and laying it over different colored cardstock papers sometimes reversing the image. Just an exercise in color layering. The Impressionists used it. I just made colored copies at Kinko's--no magic in that! ML

Unknown said...

Oh no!

Ah, I see it now as that would have been 11:20 here and Yevette was at the doctor. I didn't know she was gone and as I was lying down. I'm sorry as I borked that one. Saturday is the next chance because the circumstances tomorrow are kind of uncertain.

It makes me smile as you say, oh, it was nothing. It was plenty! Yevette said several times, I wonder how she gets the colors like that and my only possibility is, well, she has those special pencils and a whole lot of magic.

The aboriginal people in Australia sometimes talk of 'the dreamtime' and, in a limited way, that means death but it's much larger and that's the mansuetude of your drawings of Palo Duro. Mansuetude means gentleness and the word is so weird I kind of like it. It's pronounced MAN-swe-tood or MAN-swe-tyood for Brits.

Anonymous said...

Well yes, I did use my new special pencils!

Unknown said...

I at least got that much right then. Ha ha