Tuesday, September 12, 2017

Apple Night Shift Turns Out to Be a Hit with Me

Night Shift automatStudies have shown that exposure to bright blue light in the evening can affect your circadian rhythms and make it harder to fall asleep. Night Shift uses your computer's clock and geolocation to determine when it's sunset in your location. It then automatically shifts the colors in your display to the warmer end of the spectrum. In the morning it returns the display to its regular settings.

Automatically shifts the colors of your display to the warmer end of the color spectrum after dark.


Apple:  How to use Night Shift on your Mac


A great deal is made in the Mac press regarding the utility of the software for making less eyestrain while using your computer or iOS device in bed before sleep.  While it might seem a little twisted to use the device to stay connected to your pixel pals up until the last moment of the day, some find it useful.

Zen Yogi:  that's not a little twisted, that's a lot twisted

Thanks for the clarification on that, bear buddy.

Zen Yogi:  just about any novel will be printed on off-white paper for the same reason of reducing eyestrain and I have been reading myself to sleep since I was a kid.  Unlike with a computer, I don't care if I drop the book when I doze off.


In the Rockhouse, the iMac Thunder Beast is used is in low- or no-light conditions most of the time and that's how I've used computers in general for well over thirty years.  There's no denying the eyestrain from it but I find it important for the sake of the immediacy of whatever I'm doing and for a high level of focus on it.

In my current situation, the eyestrain becomes a much larger problem and simply dimming the screen doesn't solve it.  In effect, the screen screams at me and I can hardly look at it.  Turning on some surrounding lights mitigates it a little but not much because there's far too much contrast.

Apple addressed that by shifting the screen display to the warmer end of the spectrum but stated without the photog-speak, that means it kills the blues.  You can read much more about that via the link but the result is less eyestrain due to less contrast and it takes no technospeak to tell you it works.

Last night it was almost impossible to even look at the computer and that was compounded by more than the light level but, regardless of the source of the problem, I needed a solution for it.  Since then I've been finding Night Shift is greatly helpful since it makes the display much more benign.


Apple's OS upgrades lately haven't been sending me into any fanboy frenzy since SIRI isn't interesting at all and it seemed Night Shift was the same but without some sexy female voice.  However, Night Shift is remarkably effective and I'm grateful for that.

Apple High Sierra OS upgrade comes in days and that will definitely get some of that fanboy frenzy worked up and it's not my purpose to list all of them here but killing autoplay video has been something I've tried to achieve in various ways but vendors, Adobe chief among them with FLASH, have made it steadily more difficult to do that.  FLASH is also scheduled for death in the near future so losing that slimy toad of a software system while also killing autoplay video will dramatically improve the hygiene of the computer experience.

"Hygiene!" said Doctor Krankeit before he turned and walked away.

Zen Yogi:  wtf was that??

He was in "Candy" which was a parody of "Lolita" by Nobakov.

Zen Yogi:  wtf does he mean?

No idea, Yogi, since he never said anything else.


Night Shift has been available since last September but SIRI had soured me on twee software.  Now I see it was worth trying right away and the one-day trial period was sufficient since I'll definitely keep running it.

No comments: