Wednesday, September 2, 2015

How About Some Lionel Hampton

"Swing Heil" is some kind of swing boogie and that's already too much nomenclature for me as what matters to play is the eight-count.  That count always means one thing:  dance.

It seems anything from a four-count should just drop into an eight-count but it doesn't work that way and I was surprised how much it changes.  My emphasis has been so heavily toward rock, house, disco beats that an eight-count swing, boogie, la de da was sweeping right past.

The song has all kinds of mistakes in it but there's enough which is not mistake to scream practice, practice, practice at me.  This is something I never did very much but it has an outrageously good feel to it and everybody has to move for a beat like that.

"Swing Heil" is for high irony in that more than anything I ever did, this I would love to play for my ol' parents.  It was the language of the Swing Kids but they knew it too and my ol' Dad did really love to swing dance.


So then I was thinking, how can there be swing without Lionel Hampton.  Bringing a vibraphone into this is so deranged that it's more cool to think about it than most likely it would be to do it.

Lionel Hampton was so cool he wouldn't even have to play.  He could just hang around being cool and the whole place would light up.

Hampton wasn't mentioned in "Swing Kids" as he wasn't the bold up-front guy but rather he was back there with the vibe being cool.  I think he did lead bands later but that was after the swing era, I believe.

No comments: