Saturday, May 18, 2013

Voodoo Shilton Loops the Loop at Cat's Art MusikCircus

While the Internet trashed me again for a second week in a row, Cat told me how the show went last night for Voodoo at Cat's Art MusikCircus and there wasn't time to talk about the whole two hours but this much I know.

Voodoo Shilton and I had talked a bit after last week's show and I asked him about using a looper in his show.  Apparently last night he did ... and I fookin' missed it!  However, a good many people did not as attendance was quite good so that's always excellent news.

You hear me going on about experimentation all the time so I'm really glad to hear about Voodoo and the looper as these devices are more instruments than musical toys.  Phase shifters, flangers, and the like give interesting musical effects but they have no particular effect on the content of the music whereas a looper gives a world of freedom that isn't possible any other way.  Used badly, they will leave the music as what my ol' Dad called tickety tock for bad swing music but Voodoo is a master guitarist and I am fascinated to hear what he does with one!

What I also know is that Voodoo was using an instrument called an Udu in his set the week before.  Now I don't know if he incorporated this into his looper magic last night so I'm fascinated to learn more about that as well.  (WIKI:  Udu)

In looking at the WIKI about the Udu, you may wonder what the hell one does with such a thing but that's for you to discover at Voodoo's next show, isn't it!  You can hear him each Friday night at Cat's Art MusikCircus!

While Voodoo was playing, I was back here playing fookin' SCRABBLE on the iPad and cursing the Internet but hopefully it won't bite me three weeks in a row and I'll be able to attend next Friday.

No comments: