Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Orchid Mosaic for Mystery Lady

The year was '95 so this was definitely for the Mystery Lady:


This is the highest-resolution I've got since it was over twenty years ago and that size was almost a standard.  It's kind of poofy to have signed it but that must have seemed important at the time.

Maybe the subject is not recognizable but they're orchids but I was pleased with this result.  Usually painterly effects go too far, for my taste, but this one I find quite gentle and somewhat playful at the same time.

Ed:  great to read about you congratulating yourself!

I didn't write the software, mate.  I admire the result but I don't know how their code achieved it.


The year '95 was even before Silas and this is where I found him:


The stone is in Spring Grove Cemetery in Cincinnati, Ohio, and I have no idea who is currently enjoying the sunset inside it but this is where I found Silas and he's been with us ever since.

Ed:  Silas is really of the undead?

Well, yah, I probably should have told you that, I guess.

Ed:  I didn't know the undead enjoyed music!

Geez, I showed you Warrant with "Cherry Pie" yesterday.  How much more proof do you need.  (Ithaka:  Justin Bieber Didn't Kill Music - Warrant Did That with "Cherry Pie")


There's another one called "Flowers for Mystery Lady" and that's been the specific title ever since I shot it.


I’m sure I photoshopped it since those flowers don’t grow together like that but I’m really not sure how I did it.  I think it might have been my garden but I shot so much at the Krohn Conservatory too.

The deep pink in the foreground looks like a Zinnia; the soft pink ones with a touch of yellow may be Freesia; there's a carnation in the top left; maybe the purple is delphinium?  Plus buds from who knows what.  These couldn't have been in the same place and yet the lights and darks seem consistent.

Ed:  you congratulate yourself again!

That's hardly true when I don't even know what was done.

Ed:  you probably stole it then!

Nah, this was long before the Internet became a den of iniquity.  The Internet was just barely getting started for the public with MOSAIC at that stage.  No-one was talking about stealing back then, it was all about sharing.  Of course there's a wistful sigh since I remember that.  My Duck Soup was already online in '95, for that matter.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember the bouquet--they came from the floral shop in Clifton on the corner across from Skyline Chili. You took a large photo of it and had the photo processed by your friend on Central Parkway. ML

Unknown said...

So that's it. I couldn't figure out the freesia since I was sure we never got it growing. That was Durban's across the street and I hope they still exist. Virginia Bakery is (sob) either gone or not what it was and the place was such a treasure. Clifton was still extremely cool the last time I visited and it looks like Queen Bee is doing what the G-Man did. Clifton needs a Mayor even though Cincinnati already has one.

The version I posted is the tiny version of the master which is sixty megabytes and one of the highest-resolution images I've got. It doesn't have the vibe of "Flowers for Anne" which Alex had done but it would have be a masterful painterly effect before I would do it to the big one. I needs something and I'll know what it is when I see it. I'm sure that computes with you!

Anonymous said...

Yes, I knew of course what the name was..and it was Nortons on the parkway. and wasnt it Alstroemeria (flower of everlasting life))--you could never have grown it in our garden!

I can see Queen Bee in that role. It fits in a good way. I enjoy seeing the pics of her travels too!

Unknown said...

I remember that name now that you say it but I would likely have sat here forever if I had to recall it myself. I do remember it now because the blooms last for so long and, hence, the name. There must be a florist around here somewhere but I don't believe I have seen one.

Slide shows didn't stop since they just automate them and put them on television. Then they can call it high tech but it's still a damn slide show. With Queen Bee, it wouldn't be just one trip but sooooo many. She said she took her kids to Ecuador just so she could show them the toilets flush in the other direction in the Southern hemisphere. It must have been just a wee bit more than that because those junkets are less-expensive but they're not free.