Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Caution Against Comparing Artists

There's one major concern in presenting any work from original artists here since it's part of Blogger to count things and that can lead to 'this one got more hits than that one.'  I strongly caution against that kind of thinking and it's never my purpose to set up anything which has the potential for that comparison.  Every piece is sacred to the art and comparisons are, in my view, almost sacrilegious.

Comparing the numbers for artists tries to make art like the Super Bowl and one thing we know about football games is they're all generally the same.  Generals love football but we note the same attribute with flag officers as well since most are generally the same.  It can be highly exciting to watch football happen but that doesn't at all mean the game was much different from any other.

I want the whole spread in whatever demented art I can find since realism is just ... just ... too real, especially when sometimes I can look out the window and see the same thing.  I want the interpretation, no matter how twisted it may appear, so I can have some glimpse of your thinking about it.

Ed:  the inner essence of it!

That's the thing.  I want that.

Ed:  what if your interpretation of what you see is complete bullshit?

It can't be or anyone's interpretation is complete bullshit when all of us are presented with the same physical evidence of the painting.  Whatever I see may not be or probably won't be the same as anything you may see but that's why we look and it's the thing making it so interesting, at least to me.

The artist wants to know what we see in it since he or she also may not see the same thing and it's inevitably a curiosity.  It's the same reason it doesn't tell me much if someone likes my song since the interest is what did it bring to you.  That's not something for me to tell but for me to ask.


With any given painting I'll be thinking, man, they will dig this one for sure.  Maybe you do or you don't since that's not my call; I can only present them with good intentions.


I don't have anything in that particular pipe at the moment since I kind of bounce off Twitter sometimes or maybe a lot because of the immense vibe of, dayum, these people are so damn angry all the time.

That's when I go to "Flashdance" and ...

Ed:  give up your dream and you die!

You have seen it (larfs).

She's a maniac, maniac on the floor
And she's dancin' like she's never danced before
She's a maniac, maniac on the floor
And she's dancin' like she's never danced before

- "Maniac" by Michael Sembello


That maniac is in every piece of art so I want to respect that.


Update:

I found some art.  It's highly-evocative and it's a water color this time.  I'm awaiting permission to present it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Artist and her process ...from your neck of the woods. Enjoy!! ML

Unknown said...

Rats, I'm not sure what you mean. I have seen the artist and her process and generally ... it's mystifying (larfs).