Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Ithaka Blows Past Three Quarters of a Million Hits

I did not think I would see this mile marker so it's quite a bit of a surprise and your interest is most appreciated.  Hopefully you see Ithaka is evolving as I see I better take it just a wee bit more seriously when it does seem I do something people want me to continue doing.  I don't see anything even in Comments I reject which calls me any kind of a mutant swampdog so continue, continue.

Note:  the Comments I reject are unanimously spam pushing some worthless thing or another.

Twitter is being taken a little bit more seriously while Facebook has lost all credibility as I see no more than a festering pit of mainstream mediocrity.  I haven't visited it in some while due to the absolute predictability of it ... same reason I don't much care for mainstream pop when it's usually so endlessly repetitive.


For some while I was pissed because so many come to Ithaka but hardly anyone buys the CD or does much of anything.  That is NOT an attempt to shag you to buy the CD now since it kind of amuses me sitting there and I can get all self-righteous with it in thinking, sure, it's so damn good but they will never know (larfs).  I don't do that but it is funny to me.

My view of what I do now is when an honest man brings light then other honest people may be encouraged to spread that light as well.

Ed:  aren't you the sanctimonious missionary!

I really don't think so since I don't work street corners and I don't put up any billboards.  Anyone coming here is only by personal choice.

Ed:  are you going to run Devo again?

Nah, you already know the song.  I'm feeling more like jazz today since I got all lit up yesterday with Joni Mitchell.  (Ithaka:  "Shadows And Light" - Pat Metheny, Joni Mitchell, Jaco Pastorius, Michael Brecker)

Note:  if you don't like jazz, try to get past the word since the concert won't likely be what you expect and it smokes plus Joni Mitchell is looking fine in it.

Freedom of choice
It's what we want

- Devo


Thanks for the interest and it is an inspiration to do better which hopefully you have seen and perhaps that's what drives more interest now since you have been running up hits in a big way.  Watching the hits may seem obsessive but that's specifically a scorecard to show whether I'm anywhere near the right track.  That doesn't mean it has to conform to anything but it does have to be consistent and (gasp) respectful.


There is at least a subset of readers wanting to see the slashing since you know I can bring flaming hell on something with the finest of language or the most colorful but people lately seem to be trying to do that for purpose more than for cause and I walk away from it.  That's precisely why there was a period of observation of Trump in the post-election time because I want to hear for myself what he and his Cabinet will do rather than having it spoon-fed by overpaid pundits.

That you don't see much slashing now is because I see it as pointless.  Obviously a liberal will revile any of Trump's choices since he's a Republican.  Sure, I don't like his choices and I'm sure you get that but it insults you to flog it.  Moreover, it insults me since I waste my precious time to do it and there's nothing of value gained from it.


One aspect, to my thinking, lags somewhat since the general theme of Ithaka was What's Silas Doing while Mister Toad was on the Wild Ride to Scotland.  Wild rides are few these days and the focus has shifted quite a bit but still some of the regulars come here to discover whether I'm still in a non-boxed state (i.e. still above ground level).

That's all part of the long, strange trip and there are two key points from that:  it's never long enough and it's never strange enough.

So make it that way and thanks for being part of it.

No comments: