Wednesday, September 13, 2017

The Queen Bee Flies into Fort Worth Today

Now that's not a headline you will see every day and I'm just as pleased as punch that she comes.

Zen Yogi:  what does that mean?

What do you mean, my furry buddy?

Zen Yogi:  what does pleased as punch mean?

I don't really know, mate, except to say I'm tremendously happy about it.  I'm chuffed too since that's the Brit way of saying it.

Zen Yogi:  inquiring minds need to know

This expression refers to the Punch and Judy puppet character. Punch’s name comes from Polchinello (sometimes spelled Punchinello), an Italian puppet with similar characteristics. In Punch and Judy shows, the grotesque Punch is portrayed as self-satisfied and pleased with his evil actions.

English Language Centre: Why do we say 'Pleased as Punch'?


Zen Yogi:  I'm no Doctor Phil, Silas, but Punch sounds like kind of a prick

You're right and I'll try it in English this time since I'm pleased and excited to see the Queen Bee after five years since the last time.

Zen Yogi:  why?

She's my sister, mate.

Zen Yogi:  that still doesn't tell me why

It's a chance for dehexification, to ensure she knows there are no hexes flying about and there's nothing but love.  It's not about finality but rather continuity and particularly it's continuity with no negative waves.

Zen Yogi:  because love is all you need?

You know it's true but love plus a plane ticket will bring her to the Rockhouse door.

Zen Yogi:  you seem to actually enjoy this dying process.  Are those just words for effect or is my perception real?

It is real, my pic-a-nic basket thievin' friend, since I am enjoying it as much as I possibly can.  No song is over until the last note, mate.  That sounds like cliche but it sure as hell isn't while I'm living it and I'm doing that as much as I can manage.

Zen Yogi:  good to the last drop?

You've got it, Yogi.


In a way it's a drag for her since she was planning on being in Cuba today but Hurricane Irma put the kibosh on that for her.

Zen Yogi:  why Cuba?

Who needs a reason beyond that it's Cuba, Yogi?

Zen Yogi:  your answer is highly vague but I admit I'm curious too since I have long fancied the idea of salsa dancing

If that ever happens, I've just got to see it.

Zen Yogi:  it probably won't but you know about dreaming big

Dream big and it just might happen, Yogi.

Zen Yogi:  so what's a kibosh then?

In idiomatic usage, it means to squelch and wipe it out.  No-one seems to know the origin since it just popped up some time in the early- to mid-19th Century.

Zen Yogi:  idiomatic usage ... well, aren't you the Oxford don!

I looked it up, mate.  I'm so obsessive about it one of my Safari tabs is for a dictionary.


Zen Yogi:  this is coming to a Zen moment, isn't it?

Of course it is but one can't come to a Zen moment when one is already in it.  Talking about peace doesn't mean much if I do not also bring it every way I can.  When it's a chance to bring a measure of peace to my family, I would be a purblind fool to toss that aside.  It's a chance to give something meaningful and I love the idea of their last memory of me being of giving something.  It's also before I get so bedraggled that I become a guaranteed trauma for anyone seeing me.

Zen Yogi:  that sounds a little poofy

I know but I'm sure it won't be when it happens.  For one thing I'll get to ask her if she likes the Queen Bee name.

Zen Yogi:  she really doesn't know?

Nope since my purpose throughout has been to ensure the anonymity of anyone mentioned in Ithaka but perhaps that succeeds too well when the actual people don't know the characters either.

Zen Yogi:  why do that since it sounds a bit like senseless riddlin' to me

My hope was they would be able to deduce which ones correspond to each sibling from the context.  When someone sees a mention of something only that one did then the idea is an aha moment will come.  Aha, that must be me.

Zen Yogi:  assuming they read Ithaka

That's true and I only know one for certain but the same is true now as for the future.  If they ever should read Ithaka then they will know that's what I was doing for security.

Zen Yogi:  if they can determine who they are (smirk)

Right ... but it's still cool.  The actual reason she's the Queen Bee is she loved organizing things and I specifically don't mean she organized the paper clips in her desk by size and by color.  Her drive was much more to events and here's a wistful memory of Things Which Might Have Been.  Had it been that The Freezebirds or any of my musical ventures started picking up, it would have been extreme cool if she could have been the manager.  With her bringing the party and me bringing the jams, there wouldn't have been anything else to do except collect the money.  That is how it goes in professional rock and roll, right, Yogi?

Zen Yogi:  I never was in a band, Silas, but I would have liked to play the tuba in one.  So you're really pleased as punch about this then?

Let's go with being technicolor chuffed about it.  There's a little bit of nervous and a whole lot of chuffed.

No comments: