Sunday, January 15, 2017

The Finest Kind of Motorcycle Sportsmanship

Russian rider, Anastasia Nifontova, was racing in the Dakar 2017 rally and she dropped her bike in sand but couldn't raise it again.  Rally officials are not allowed to help her and no-one else would until a fellow racer, Gregory Morat of France, showed the finest kind of sportsmanship when he stopped his bike and his race to help.



Read the article for the full story and video.  (RT:  True gentleman’: French rider helps Russian female rival recover bike during Dakar 2017 (VIDEO))


Over in El Paso, I dropped my bike in the sand many times and a helpful tip on that is don't let the muffler land on your leg.  You won't like it.

That's not as incompetent as it sounds since it wasn't a dirt bike but buying a Husqvarna on Army dollars wasn't likely to happen.

Ed:  did you wait for someone to help you raise it?

No but mine was a little 90cc bike back in those days and you could practically get that one standing on its wheels again by kicking it ... so long as you don't burn your damn leg on the muffler.


That bike was a Kawasaki 90 and that featured in yet another of Mister Toad's Wild Rides since I had TDY (Temporary Duty) in Albuquerque so I had to go up there for three months.  Yep, I just had to ride that little bike with my duffel bag across the bike and that's how I went to Albuquerque.  When Mister Toad did that again in Greece, it wasn't exactly the first time for doing wildly ridiculous things with motorcycles.

Maybe not all will understand this but I'm sure Lotho will.  I let the bike coast quite a bit going down hill but I found the motor would stall if I did that for too long.  Finally it dawned the motor was seizing.  It wasn't getting any fuel so it didn't get oil either and that will seize a two-stroke every time.

This must not have been the glorious type of seize we saw with go-kart motors because I could start it again after I let it cool for a bit.  That may sound like butchery but consider what's between El Paso and Albuquerque on the highway:  nothin'.

No comments: