Sunday, September 17, 2017

An Outstanding Portrait of Steve Buscemi by Aaron Hicklin of The Guardian


‘He’s the most humble, down-to-earth, funny, easygoing genius’: Steve Buscemi. 

Photograph: James Dimmock/August


Like Tommy, the aimless barfly he plays in Trees Lounge, the melancholic 1996 indie film he also wrote and directed, Steve Buscemi found himself in a spiral of hopelessness after leaving school, jumping from one part-time job to another: cinema usher, ice-cream seller, petrol station attendant. There were many long nights in bars. “I really had difficulty there [on Long Island] in my last couple of years because I felt like I didn’t know what I was doing,” he says. “I felt my life was going nowhere.” His father had pushed all four of his sons to take a civil service exam, in Buscemi’s case as an avenue to a career with the fire service, where he would work for four years.

The Guardian:  Steve Buscemi: ‘In some ways I feel I haven’t fulfilled my true potential'

It's hard to even imagine Steve Buscemi working in a gas station since, probably like you, he has been one of my top favorite actors for years and likely because of his range since he almost always plays unpredictable roles.  I'm delighted when I see Steve Buscemi in the cast of an upcoming movie since I know he will bring something unusual to it and he will deliver it brilliantly.


Rather than pretending to be a critic, I'll turn this over to Aaron Hicklin who has written a lengthy interview which gave more than I ever knew of Buscemi.  The interested student is invited to follow the link to the source article since I doubt you will be disappointed by it.

Zen Yogi:  why always with interested students?

Because I was the interested student until a few minutes ago when I read the article so this student suggests other students may want to take a look.

Zen Yogi:  I already know the answer if I ask you the field you are studying

Life, the Universe, and Everything, mate.

Ref:  book title from Douglas Adams.

No comments: