Thursday, September 3, 2015

"Swing Heil" and Where Are the Kids

Cat and I talked about "Swing Heil" and her feeling was it was talking about the Swing Kids in the second half but she did not feel that in the first.  The second half isn't really half as it starts at about 3:00 with some beat talk.  She said that part made her feel like it was about them, to them, just what I want from it.

Note there's nothing defensive in this even if it may seem so.  I like the bit and I appreciate what Cat said.  The first half or so is finding out what goes with the bit.  I've played the chords a few times like that previously and thought, hmm, try this live and see what happens ... so I did.  The first half finds its way and technically speaking that was way too long but in finding credibility it was interesting that it worked at all.  In doing it again, it has to get credible a whole lot faster and get to that beat talk to connect.  From there the kids are with you and everyone is dancing.

As to mistakes in it, I'm not defensive as they're interesting because you can sort of hear the arithmetic trying to work the eight-count.  Sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't but I'm happy with that as it's pushing into something I usually don't do.

Here is "Swing Heil" from a couple of nights ago.  At the end I glued a bit into it which says "For the Swing Kids and for us all, Swing Heil" and that sucked.  I should have left it alone.  I had said Swing Kids when I did it and I wanted to have said Swing Heil.

No comments: