Thursday, July 2, 2015

"Colorful" - Steel Dragon / The Verve Pipe (video)

"Colorful" is the anthem song for abandoning that which isn't real and coming home to find it was there all along.  It's from the movie, "Rock Star," which shouldn't be dismissed too quickly as it has some fascinating observations.  Some of it is heavy-handed but, what do you want, it's rock.



Lyrics:  "Colorful" by Steel Dragon

The show is over - close the storybook
There will be no encore
And all the random hands that I have shook
Well, they're reaching for the door
I watch the backs as they leave single-file
You stood stubborn, cheering all the while

I know I can be colorful
I know I can be grey
I know this loser's living fortunate
Cause I know you will love me either way

Most were being good for goodness sake
But you wouldn't pantomime
You are more beautiful when you awake
Than most are in a lifetime
Through the haze that is my memory
You stayed for drama though you paid for a comedy

I know I can be colorful
I know I can be grey
And I know this loser's living fortunate
And I know you will love me either way

Look ahead as far as you can see
We live in drama but we die in a comedy

I know I can be colorful (when you live in black and white)
I know I can be grey (my colors fade away)
I know this loser's living fortunate
Cause I know you will love me either way



There's some more depth to the sensitivity of the song as Mark Wahlberg was one vicious horror as a kid and committed unspeakable acts of violence but I'm not going to repeat what they were now.  I have no doubt he would never repeat such things either but the fact remains they did happen.


Through some process, he came off the streets, got off the hard drugs, and left all of that behind to become what he is today.


This isn't atonement as he has a wonderful life but it's not my position to judge whether atonement is required even though I do know some ask.


Don't get racist with this as it's not only white guys who get a second chance.  I'm not going to make a list as you can get off your lazy ass and look this stuff up for yourself if you really care but I tell you the example of Wahlberg is not racist.  He comes from the only town in America (i.e. Boston) where I've seen a dead stiff lying on the sidewalk while people stood about disinterestedly, presumably waiting for city services to haul it away.  Wahlberg, through his lifestyle at the time, could easily have been that stiff and no-one would have cared any more about him than the one I saw.  The streets don't care about your color and they will eat you.  For some reason, Wahlberg was spared.

He has asked that his police record from those times be expunged and, were it for me to give, I would do it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would not expunge any persons record. Your history is your life and therefore who you are. Good or bad you done it you own it

Unknown said...

Fair enough as no answer acceptable to everyone. Maybe it's a good compromise that it's fair for him to ask for forgiveness as he has lived the truth of his change but asking for a complete absolution is too much. I don't mean to split hairs as I see enough difference in the definitions to be significant as the latter, in my interpretation, would include throwing out the records whereas forgiveness does not.