Thursday, July 2, 2015

"Colorful" - Maybe Time for a Cover

There's a lot about the background of the song in the next article, ""Colorful" - Steel Dragon / The Verve Pipe (video)," but this one is on how to play it.

Chords for the chorus (nothing positioned for timing):

[A] [Asus4] [Dsus4] [D]
I know I can be colorful

[A] [Asus2] [Dsus4] [D] 
I know I can be grey 

[A] [Asus4] [Dsus4] [D] 
And I know this loser's living fortunate 

[F] [G] 
'Cause I know you will love me either way


The verse goes [A] [Asus4] [Dsus4] [D] x 4 and then [F] [G] x 2


Note:  there was a note from someone asking for tabs (i.e. tablature is a form of pseudo-notation often used by guitarists) for some guitar part at the end.  There are two problems with that:  it's a cello, not a guitar, and you're supposed to figure it out yourself.


The chords are easy and the chorus works well in the GT-100 looper as it doesn't have enough capacity for the whole song but the chorus fits just fine and some nice guitar lead on top can sing it a bit.  And that's nice.

(Ed:  nice isn't much.  It's the worst, actually.)

Yep.

Singing it for real is what counts if I'm going to cover it.  I didn't absolutely hate what it sounded like just now in trying it for size by doing unisons with Wahlberg in the video.

Where I break is, well, multiple places ... but the biggest one is the 'Cause I know you will love me either way.

(Ed: as in tears?)

If you don't feel a song, why even screw with it.  Plus there isn't a man on the planet who doesn't want his woman looking at him like Jennifer Aniston looks at Mark Wahlberg at the end of the movie.

(Ed: you're getting weepy for Jennifer Aniston?)

Nope.  It's "The Look" and Roxette can tell you all about it.  There are no big gloppy tears but rather I can't trust my voice not to crack on the line.  That's the biggest irony of music is you're not allowed to get too excited, positively or negatively, by whatever you play or you won't be able to do it.


I really love this song.  Some of the lyrics aren't crafted as I would have written but overall they hit me dead center.  I might have to fiddle with them a bit, tho:


And all the random hands that I have shook
Well, they're reaching for the door
becomes
And all the random hands and things they took
Well, they're reaching for the door

I've helped a lot of people in life.  Seriously ... lots.  There was no expectation of anything in return and, what do you know, there wasn't.  The poignance isn't about them but rather why isn't everyone helping everyone else anyway.


You are more beautiful when you awake
Than most are in a lifetime
becomes
The light and love shine brilliant from your face
Beyond any words in rhyme

For my taste, the couplet is awkward as reading it upside-down says she's not beautiful when she is asleep.  Light and Love are an important theme with Cat so that creates a linkage without an overt reference.  The second half is pretentious as it implies no-one, regardless of skill, could make the rhyme.  That's obvious hogwash so maybe it will change to something else.


You stayed for drama though you paid for a comedy
becomes
You stayed for drama but all you got was a comedy


Although I think most people just humor me about the guitar, the song can't turn into a Russian tragedy (i.e. nobody loves me and everybody dies).


More to come as it's a live project but no telling what will come of it.

No comments: