Friday, October 6, 2017

We Tried Welch's Frozen Avocado ... So You Don't Have to Do It | Nicole Duster, MSN

Nicole Duster, author of the article, is cagey about the product in the early part of the article since she clearly wants to love it but then she has to deliver a verdict and the thing you need to know about Welch's Frozen Avocado is that it sucks and tastes awful.

MSN:  We Tried Welch’s Frozen Avocados. Here’s What You Need to Know


Here's the preliminary research:

Welch's Frozen Avocado Review:  When first examining this product, I was excited for a number of reasons. The packaging promised perfectly ripe avocados—something that's certainly a feat to find fresh—that are hand-cut. Ordinarily, fresh avocados have a small window for ripeness. Wait a day too long, and the firm green flesh turns a mushy brown. Also, a ready-peeled avocado means less time prepping! (Or so I thought.)

- MSN

She definitely knows avocados well so we continue on with her.



Here's the payload from the article:

But I forked one up for a bite. Instead of creamy avocado, this chilly fruit was cold and sour. And not candy-sour or even lemon-sour, but the acidic sour that sticks to your palate after you've had something that's well, off.  For a while, I was in disbelief. I wanted so badly to love this product. I let the avocados defrost for 20 minutes longer, thinking the frozen texture had been a factor. I took another bite. Now it was slightly sour mush.

- MSN

I was disappointed for her since I believe her about how much she wanted it to be good.  I had hoped it would be good for the same reason since avocados are a big hit in the Rockhouse and the convenience frozen avocados could provide is sensational.  From Ms Duster's early description, I see she has it perfectly about avocados and how to find the best ones so I'm sure she's serious about the letdown.


She was left with no turn except this one:

The Final Verdict:  The answer was clear. Though Welch's pre-peeled avocados are super convenient, the fruit tasted far too sour for my liking. I can see the product working well if blended into a fruit smoothie or thawed and sliced into my favorite Chunky Mango Guacamole recipe, as the citrus flavor wouldn't be as noticeable. But for avocado toast in the near future, I'll opt for fresh ingredients over frozen.

- MSN

Sour isn't a word which occurs to me for avocados and Ms Duster was remarkably generous in her Verdict since absolutely bloody awful would have been a fair assessment as well.

You can make up your own mind since the product is probably available to you in the frozen section of your nearest market but, based on Ms Duster's report, there's no way I'm going to do it.

No comments: