Saturday, September 16, 2017

The Devastating Magic of the iPhone X from #Apple

Sure, the iPhone X does cost about a grand and CNN had an article on why will people buy it anyway so I thought, wtf, I'll read it.  I was actually looking for some cool Apple magic which makes these devices irresistible since I want to think, oh yeah, this makes sense.  Apple has historically been extremely good at that insofar as they could come up with new twists which any Apple aficionado (i.e. me) has immediately got to have.

That's not how it works this time, mates.  Instead of a techoblurb, the article only gave short shrift to the notion of radical new technology.  The Apple magic didn't come technologically but rather with two easy words:

Monthly Payments

CNN:  Yup, it costs $999. But you'll pay it.


Recently I have been hearing from CowboyHatGirl via email messages and she sent multiple photographs from over thirty years ago, all of which were stored on her iPhone.  The utilitarian practicality of the device is clear when you choose that method to manage your software.  That I don't support that solution isn't indicative of age so much as a sedentary lifestyle.  I do see the practicality of the device in that context.  Probably she does the same with her music since it makes little sense to have two computers when one can do just as well or better, depending on your background.

All of my software is stored on a single device (i.e. iMac) but it's been my wont to use a pair of maxed-out Mac Pro machines since only one can shoot flames from its ears and two of them makes a system which is almost unstoppable.  Regrettably, my wont became too expensive so the iMac is my current solution and it's functionally identical to the way the iPhone is being used most typically by Millennials.

My needs are generally different from most due to a heavy background in computer technology, from big ones to little ones.  In rendering video, I needed the most powerful computing platform available and it's only recently that has the render time come to anything less than a mindcrushing wait.  However, video has progressed from HD in stages out to 8K and each increase brings a punishing increase to the render time.

Notwithstanding all that rot, the practicality of the iPhone is clear but that which is not so clear is whether she will pay a fucking thousand dollar for the latest phone.


Zen Yogi:  it's looking like a bait and switch scam, Silas

That's my thinking as well since Apple moved steadily to seduce people into dependence on the iPhone and then cleverly jacked the price so high many of them now won't be able to afford it.  That situation has been increasingly clear as the price has gone up but it's been steadily more difficult to return from the world of the Iphone for All Things.

Zen Yogi:  I do think they got snookered, mate.

I was hoping to find much more than that since I've always had a great enthusiasm for computing technology so I wanted to find some blow me away coolness but it just wasn't there.  The only substantive change appears to be strong shift toward monthly payments.


Apple machines have always carried the aura of a status symbol and now with the iPhone X it's more so than ever.  The key part of Rockhouse economics is if I can't afford it then I can't fuckin' have it.  That works perfectly and especially for those who are unwilling to spend an unnecessary moment on finance (i.e. me).

I don't need the deep financial theories and the explanation of supply and demand means relatively little to me since the way since my demand don't mean doodleysquat regardless of the supply when I don't have the jinglejack to make it happen.

To some my approach may seem awful but one thing is immediately clear:  I'm not accountable in any kind of way to bill collectors.


I do own an iPhone and it's new but it cost $150.  I think it's an iPhone SE but I'm too lazy to pull it out of the case to look.  While I don't use it for storing photographs, music, etc, I do see the device has 28 GB for that purpose.  Regrettably that's not likely to be enough or stay that way for long when you store every bit of your software on it.

I have owned an iPhone almost continuously minus the last three or four years since one of the earliest models but I don't recall which one.  During much of that time, I found no convenience in the sync process required to keep the desktop computer matching the iPhone.  More often I found that caused problems rather than solved them.  My final answer was to bag the iPhone for that type of purpose but others went the opposite direction.  Once people were committed so hard in that way, Apple owned them.

My purpose isn't to imply that was overtly directed but it sure as hell smells like it.


There's a long diatribe on the hell of monthly payments since they help the consumer with consumption but turn around to consume the consumer.  There's no need for the diatribe since you already know it or you may be so heartsick in suburbia you're frozen due to accumulated monthly payments which are more than you can afford.

That leads to many places but mostly to predatory lending practices in an economy based on consumption which is most vulnerable to them.  It's deeply disturbing when even your phone becomes one more item in your aggregate debt load.

There's no way I can advise not to do it since that's impossible for many.  The status symbol aspect further piques the consumerist lust and this just smells Machiavellian.

Zen Yogi:  after coming to the same conclusion multiples time it just might be time to bag it, Silas

You're right.  What say we play some music really loud?

Zen Yogi:  how about we go with medium loud since your definition of loud is bloody earsplitting

Great deal and let's go with Humble Pie doing "I Don't Need No Doctor."

Zen Yogi:  that's the band so loud that memory of their last concert in Cincinnati still brings tears to Doc's eyes

OK, Yogi, let's go with medium loud (wink, wink).

No comments: