Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Raffling Off a Fender Stratocaster Signed By Dave Mason (for real)

My friend was at a show Dave Mason played a few nights ago and actually got to hang out with him. That's not my story to tell except to give it a hat tip for coolness.

She let me know he gave them a Fender Stratocaster with a white body, a rosewood fingerboard, and bearing his signature.  The Strat is now available for auction at CharityBuzz where the current bid is $350.


Note:  it's now confirmed the guitar is a Fender Squire and not a Stratocaster.  Blame my wimpy glasses for the mistake and you can see more on this ... but not my glasses ... in the comments.

Meanwhile, don't ignore the guitar as there's no reason to believe the people staging the event bought the guitar and asked him to sign it.  Much more likely is he selected it and he also played it in the show.  Sneer at a Fender Squire if you will but Dave Mason had a reason for selecting it and maybe that reason is worth discovering.

Not believin' it?  Well ...


There's an odd way the auction is set as the minimum bid for the next bidder is $400.  We assume that means you have to top the previous bid by $50 for a total of $400.  If it means in addition to the $350 then it goes up to $750 which is right about what this model of Stratocaster would cost anyway.  If you can buy it for less than $750 then you stole it.  This is one excellent guitar and it's everything a Stratocaster can be.  Designer or otherwise, all of them have the same single-coil pickups and they are what set Fender apart more than anything else.

Note:  the prices do not apply to a Fender Squire which sells for less than a Fender Stratocaster.

We are not familiar with any 'designer series' of Stratocaster which Fender made custom for Dave Mason.  Typically 'designer' has meant the guitar will have a unique contour to the rounding of the back of the neck.  Whether that makes an even faint difference to anyone's play has never been shown by any musician I have held in high regard as they played whichever guitars were around.  Clapton has a 'designer series' but he said he found the best guitars in pawn shops.

So, paying a premium price for a 'designer' guitar is almost certainly wasted money but that's not what you buy here.  It's a Fender Squire bearing Dave Mason's signature and my friend can verify he really did play it.

Note:  I am not representing nor do I have any association with the reason for the offering.  This is solely to advise the offer exists and you can make of it what you will.

This guitar is almost identical to a Stratocaster which I played for about twenty years.  Had I known more about replaceable necks on these guitars, I would still be playing it.

I do emphasize about identical as the only difference I can see is the head is painted on this one but it's a natural finish on a Stratocaster.  If you look closely, you can see the hole for insertion of the twang bar.  There's no way to compare the electronics but likely it's the same components and the only difference between the Squire and the Strat is the former was built overseas.

4 comments:

Vandengroef said...

It's a Squire, a sub-brand of Fender. Sweet guitars, those Squiers. I've got me a Jazz Bass they built. Love it.

Unknown said...

I couldn't see it well enough to tell. I don't believe the Squire is built in U.S. and purists won't touch them for that reason. Unknown if that makes a flyspeck of difference to the guitar or how it plays but I know that thinking exists.

Anonymous said...

I always thought Squier was,a knockoff for Fender. Price about $250 for a strat replica

Unknown said...

True. I was trying to say it gently but that doesn't help anyone who may not know. I would not buy one.

However, the guitar may be a great value. I do not know that. I do know a Squire wasn't for me and that Stratocaster loved me long time. If I had known how to take care of her better, she still would.