Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Is He Gay? (historical record)

Cincinnati has a huge lot of music happening so we're going to mix this up a bit because we don't want to identify anyone ... well ... except Lotho.

Sometimes there are houses which immediately become rock houses because some twist of how the house was built, maybe it has a basement which is largely underground, the sound of even a full rock band will not get out.

And, yah, you can play at that volume in there but you might want to hold off on it as you can easily create sound pressure which will crush your ears like you just stepped into "The Abyss."

So this place was so damn cool for jams and it was a favorite place to hang at one stage and even play sometimes.  This was the first time when I realized people might like to jam with me so this was a golden buzz all over.

Lotho and I were hanging out all the time and many times he would be up for taking in the jams.  Even after playing in a basement, every band has an after-party.


Now on this particular night, see, it was different.  There are all kinds of musical connections to everywhere from Cincinnati and, on this night, a Pro from Dover musician was in-town and visiting.

And I do mean Pro from Dover as this cat had the light and the magic.  Everybody loved him, girls would come for miles to be around him, and he could set a synthesizer (Prophet V) afire.  There is no insult in calling him the Pro from Dover, he was actually more than that.  He was a walking talking rock god and he will cast a spell on you.


So of course he jams with his friends from back home and the fact he will play draws people from everywhere.  It's a great, completely wild time with music for the pure joy of making music and money and things are somewhere else.

These are the nights of music you never forget as there is nothing corrupting it.


But then the music stops and it's time for some after-party.  We're all hanging out and having a good old time, all getting hammered and who knows who did what, and lots of great talk about L.A. music ... plus whatever nutso thing comes to stoners who are feeling so dayum good.

As to getting buzzed, well, Lotho was trippin' balls and he's good at trippin' because he always seemed comfortable and composed in the surreal world.

So, he's trippin' right along and it's so damn cool.


But he comes up to me at one point and quietly asks if the Rock God is gay.  He's trippin' so he's not so sure if the cat made a pass at him.

So I sez, nooooo, no way.  I wasn't fluffing him because how should I know if he is gay since it's not something about which I have any idea unless someone makes a pass at me.  OK, that's a sure sign.  Beyond that, I don't know and I don't think of it when I meet someone.  That doesn't make me a good person, it just doesn't occur to me.


Yah, yah, I'm sure you're already there.  The Rock God is as gay as Liberace and what you're wanting to know ... right now yer dirty li'l minds ... how did things turn out for Lotho?

So, how about I sez nothin' and leaves you wonderin'.  Huh?  Fuhgedaboudit!

(Ed:  you spankin' gay guys?)

Hell no.  See above as it really doesn't occur to me when I meet someone.  As to what gay guys do ... I don't care as that's their business unless it's something cool and it often is with people who are living on the edge already.


So, nope, there was no love connection for Lotho that night but I'm sure it was one of the strangest trips.

They're all strange, tho, and that's what's cool about them.  Never in a billion years of dreaming would I have believed at that time the trip would run so long and into so many things.

A long, strange trip doesn't even tinker with how long, how strange, and how absolutely fookin' incredible.

No comments: