Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Update to Results and Annotation for Game Ten of the Great Greek Chess Tournament

The Game Ten annotation for the Great Greek Chess Tournament has been significantly changed to correct omissions of moves.  The process for annotation is obviously flawed so I'll defer another attempt at this until I come up with a better one.  It's not too terrible making the notes as the game progresses as neither of us is in any great rush to move and Mary, I don't think, has ever played speed chess.  She said she wouldn't like it but everyone thinks that before trying it and many are surprised that the way it forces you to think can be quite interesting.

So the problem in the process is that the transcription from raw notes on paper to machine-displayable code is not at all acceptable and, as you saw, results in multiple errors due to oversights.  One possible solution is to blog it as the game progresses but one possible problem with that is any error in the process means that it cannot possibly be repaired as there is no original note.  Nevertheless, I suspect that's the only way to do it as double-handling of anything almost always results in errors.

I will try it again as Kastro Bar does have WiFi so that would permit using the laptop for blogging it and there's enough room on the tables for the laptop on the board.  That's just about as supremely geeky as it's possible to get but at this age who the hell cares!

The Tournament is amusing as Mary is my good friend but we don't talk to each other a whole hell of a lot beyond calling up to see if I'm free and then meeting up to play.  The games are played in pretty close to silence and then we go on our separate ways.  The last time we played I talked more with Mary, her cousin, than I did with her (laughs).  But, as my ol' Dad liked to say, friends are people with whom one really doesn't have to say anything and I find that quite charming.

So, hopefully all errors are now corrected in the annotation for the game as it must have been quite frustrating to try to play it out previously and then finding that it choked on the eighth move.  Sorry about that!

No comments: