Friday, January 25, 2013

Sonya Jevette at Cat Boucher's Art MusikCircus

Sonya Jevette came back to sing at Cat Boucher's Art MusikCircus last night and showed once again what a beautiful singing voice she has.  She does her originals and also some covers from Wynona Judd and Adele.  I can't say I really liked Adele's material all that much until I heard Sonya sing it.


Yes, I do shoot new pictures each week so what these are pictures are telling me is that we need to give Sonya a MusikCircus make-over!  She just wouldn't be Sonya without her hat and she has such a pretty face that I wouldn't think of putting clown make-up on her but Cat finds some incredible outfits so I'm sure we can find something Sonya will like.

Sonya sings her covers beautifully and she definitely owns them.  In singing them she adds just the finest touch of vibrato and that nuance makes an incredible difference.  You may well come to her show to hear the covers but what will make you remember her the most are her originals.  She often opens with a song she calls "Jevette" and you can hear the full band arrangement of the song at the Sonya Jevette Web site.  In it she sings, we are all children of the Universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  Truly, and we are no more than the trees and the stars either.  We are children of the Universe.

The "Big Girls" song is also on her Web site and you can hear that too.  She has released her first CD and is currently working on another one.  The version of "Big Girls" Sonya does at the MusikCircus is solo and it's always with people from the audience dancing with her:


From left to right, Medora Chevalier, Sonya Jevette, and Merry Gildea

Medora was doing a quite spectacular dance in an obviously spectacular gown and you may think your eyes deceive you in seeing she is blowing bubbles but, yes, she is.  It's all part of the song and Medora is a lot of fun.

Merry Gildea is my friend from way back in Second Life and she was killed in almost every video in which she played.  For her, any visit with me is just not complete until she gets murdered!  She's a great friend because, after all, a good friend will maybe let you borrow a car when you're in trouble but how many will let you kill them!  Merry also introduced me to Kristopher Walpole and I was quite surprised by his talent so I'm sure it will be no surprise to you that Cat has booked him for Monday night.

So this was the "Big Girls" song in which Sonya sings of the 'wobbly wobbly' and I know you know what it means.  If you don't, you're probably too young to be reading this blog!


The show got off to a bumpy start last night and I can't emphasise strongly enough the importance of sound checks before gigs, either in real life or in Second Life.  Everybody got all tense as it took about ten minutes or so to get it sorted out but that passed once Sonya started singing.

And Cat and I danced!


The turnout for the show was actually much better than the picture shows you as quite a few people did come to listen but it takes a while to recover from a bumpy start.

2 comments:

Apmel said...

Great post. Good thing I finally found your blog :)

Unknown said...

Thanks for reading. I appreciate it!