Tuesday, January 29, 2013

James Corachea and Kristopher Walpole at Cat Boucher's Art MusikCircus - Report

James Corachea opened the show last night at Cat Boucher's Art MusikCircus and he apologised several times for having played a song in a previous set.  There was no need for apology as he does a marvelous job on his songs and the fact that he has played one before isn't a bad thing at all!


James is an acoustic guitarist from the United Kingdom and he's a bit shy when he's in front of the microphone talking but he's not at all shy once he starts to play as his music always comes across with great confidence.  Relatively few (i.e. only the best) of the acoustic musicians use a finger picking style and James is excellent at it.  He has been classically-trained and one can easily hear that in his music.

There is a lovely intricacy to the way James plays and this comes through in all of his songs, most particularly in his originals which he delivers with noticeable enthusiasm.  His covers can sometimes sound a bit like a recital but his originals are obviously (and reasonably!) close to his heart.

You can learn more about James Corachea on BandCamp.


The MusikCircus welcomes Kristopher Walpole, another guitarist from the United Kingdom, as this night was his debut!  He has played for some years in Second Life but this was his first time at the MusikCircus and I had never heard him before.  My friend, Merry Gildea, said I ought to listen to him on SoundCloud and I knew right away that Cat would want to hear him.


Kristopher started out with some fairly sweet songs and I do confess to egging him on a little bit as artists always dig it when you already know something of their material.  I wasn't faking anything as I was asking for songs I had heard there that I thought the audience would enjoy.  The romantic songs went over fairly well but what really kicked up the set was after I requested "American Highway" which, I believe, is one of his originals.  I'm not taking credit for kicking up the set as he did that but I do confess to trying to steer it a bit!

When Kristopher went into "American Highway" he started delivering the punch that had originally drawn me to his music on SoundCloud and the audience was obviously responding to it.  My suggestion to him is to bag the cover songs and keep punching out originals like that.  They're powerful, exciting and a great pleasure to hear.

If you couldn't attend Kristopher Walpole's show, you can hear "American Highway" and other of his originals on SoundCloud.


And Cat and I danced:


What's interesting about this one is that Paris Obscur is standing behind us and he was talking with Cat about a gig next week.  That's now scheduled for next week and he will be singing on Wednesday.


And onward to lion taming!


There is all kinds of cool stuff at the MusikCircus and I thought I would try my lion-taming skills.  Since I didn't get eaten, I'm guessing I passed.

No comments: