Friday, January 25, 2013

Responsibility to the Truth

Just now I realised John McLaughlin, yah, THE John McLaughlin is following me on Twitter.  I wasn't following him, I have no idea why he would follow me.  But the reason doesn't matter as it emphasises greatly something that is coming more and more to me that my responsibility to truth now is greater than it has ever been in my life.  I can't come back thirty years from now to say I didn't mean it and then kick back in retirement with a beer on the beach like nothing ever happened.

(Yes, I realise John McLaughlin's Twitter feed is for his tour news but that doesn't require following me.  I'm certainly not going to waste his time by asking but I do observe that no other musicians do it.)

I'm deeply appreciative of the response to the article on Nazism as even some I thought might be angered by it saw the truth of it and why I wrote it.  My intention is not to elicit anger, to shock, or to conjure any kind of cheap thrill but rather to report on the world as I see it and my only intention is to report on what I see.  Hopefully there will be some wisdom of age and experience in the report.

I'm also deeply appreciative of you taking the blog again back over two hundred hits a day.  It hasn't reached that since I 'came out' under my real name rather than using my stage name of Silas Scarborough.  For many years, playing music was my Dirty Little Secret that I kept from the disparaging view of my colleagues in IT as it was at once painful and amusing that not one of them ever got why I do it.  The fact is, I don't get why I do it either (laughs).

So, thank you.  The support from you encourages me to keep aiming higher.  I will not go quietly.  I will not lie down!

No comments: