Thursday, January 10, 2013

Sonya Jevette at Cat Boucher's Art MusikCircus

Sonya Jevette returned for her Thursday night gig at Cat Boucher's Art MusikCircus and I have reported on her several times previously but, as before, these are not so much reviews as impressions from my travels.  Sometimes I'm taking pictures of Katakolo and sometimes I'm taking pictures of Sonya's show.


Look at her eyes and tell me she does not know about love.  She also sings about it with a beautiful voice.  Sonya plays her own guitar accompaniment and plays lead guitar as well but her greatest strength is her voice which has extraordinary delicacy and yet has great power at the same time.  That makes quite a lovely combination and she also adds just a touch of vibrato every so often which all together is very beautiful.  Not to leave you with the impression that this is a Shirley Temple sound, she also has a growl that is pretty much guaranteed to make you want to take her home.

No-one will let her go home without doing "The Big Girl Song" and she gets a huge kick out of doing it too.  You can tell easily how much fun she has performing and it's lovely thing to hear her tell Cat how much she appreciates being given the stage as this is one whole hell of a lot better than playing at home to a stack of recording gear.  The 'liveness' of a Second Life performance may be tough to understand if you haven't been to one but it's very much live and it's also very much more intimate than a real-life performance as there is a great deal of interaction with the audience.

Here's a picture of Cat and I dancing on-stage with Sonya during "The Big Girl Song" and I had thought previously that only girls could dance with her for this but you can see here that it's not that way:


Hopefully you will come to one of Sonya's shows soon and don't be shy about getting onto the stage with her.

The bigger the cushion,
baybeeeee,
the better the wobbly wobbly

This song is huge fun!  Get up and dance!


A bit later, Cat started a conga line and this was a part where the liveness of the show was very clear.  In Second Life you can type messages in public chat that anyone can see and Sonya can see them from the stage while she plays.  We were having all kinds of fun with the conga line and she was commenting on it during the song and in that way everyone feels each other's presence so much.  The picture shows the conga line dancing past Sonya on the stage and that's me dancing with three women at the same time.  I've done my share of dancing in the real world but I've damn sure never done that!  I love Second Life!  Cat is leading the line, I'm behind her, Riana, a dear friend of Cat is behind me, and Julie the Poet, a dear friend of mine is behind her.



The morning report is never complete without a picture of Cat and I dancing alone together:


Early in the show Cat announced to everyone our partnership and I was just bustin' with pride.  It was so charming to hear people saying how cute we are together.  Sonya was talking about it from the stage too and it was all just delightful.  Thank you, Cat, for a beautiful evening, mein Liebling.

No comments: