Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Pictures from Katakolo on New Years Day

Zeus smiled with a quite beautiful day for riding.  This wasn't any kind of a thrill ride as much of the time I wasn't even doing forty kph.  It's wonderfully pleasant farm land that goes right up to the beach!  The pictures below aren't fast-paced as there wasn't anything much happening anywhere.  When Greece has a holiday, the whole country shuts down and isn't that a marvelous thing.  Respect for holidays is one of many things America has forgotten and isn't that a sad thing as the holidays are much more important than selling televisions or cigarettes to people in a hurry.  People are too much in a hurry there.




It's a lovely pastoral area and I haven't seen a smokestack on anything anywhere.  The image may not be quite good enough to see the snow on the mountains in the distance and I'm told they're only three hours away.



Here a lovely church in Katakolo and I notice that all of the churches I've seen fly one or more Greek flags but I don't have the impression of domination of the state that's so prevalent in the U.S.  Greek priests in their long black robes and strange black hats are quite common to see and I almost took one out with the scooter the other day so I suppose I'll be going to Hell for that.  No, of course, it wasn't deliberate.  You have to be fast on those streets, even if you're a priest!



The Koursaros Cafe in Katakolo is the site of several of the games in the Great Greek Chess Tournament.  Mary is fast friends with the owners and her daughter is a great friend of their daughter.  It brings it to me all the more that Greece is one huge family!




The marina and breakwater in Katakolo.  The beach is quite hard-packed sand and it's fairly easy to drive on it but you will slide if you're on two wheels so do be ready for that!




At the water's edge looking out over the Sea.  I suppose at some point I will need to get all scientific and discover what the strange rock formations are but for now it's fascinating to walk around there and look at it all.



Life!



The sun starts sinking on the New Years Day for 2013.



The family welcomes me back home.  Well, actually, they didn't do anything.  Why would they, they're cats!  A varying number will hang out here, along with two quite sweet little dogs.  I have no idea of the names of any of them but they don't care.  They just like hanging here in the sunshine.

2 comments:

Julie said...

I would suspect the rock formations are volcanic in nature. I am trying to remember college Geology, but to no avail!

Unknown said...

Which means my ass is grass if whatever did it does it again! (laughs)

I haven't yet experienced a Greek earthquake so that should be novel!