Saturday, January 12, 2013

JaNa KYoMooN at Roxy Gellar's Sun & Moon

JaNa KYoMoon played at Roxy Gellar's Sun & Moon tonight and she was the closing act for the Electric Winter show.  Unfortunately, I couldn't get there until late as the earlier acts were Deceptions Digital, Michi Renoir, and Demolicious.  I know Michi and have heard his great stuff before but I was also looking forward to hearing Digital and Demolicious as well.


JaNa plays synthesizers and computers to create an ethereal, magical sound that is very much transporting to beautiful places.  They call it ambient, electronica, all kinds of things but the only thing that really matters is whether it is any good.  For me, it was very good as it hasn't exactly been the best of days so it was lovely to kick back and listen to some music from a very special place.  This is not high-impact music and I wouldn't have much liked that anyway but rather it was a lovely feeling from a place of peace.

I don't take notes but rather I listen and feel it so I can't quote the titles of each of the pieces but the last was one about the children in Wales where JaNa grew up.  To augment her synthesizers she also uses samples and this one had some of children laughing.  While that might seem unusual in a piece of music, for this performance the blend was extraordinary and was perfectly natural.


You might go into the show expecting the unusual as JaNa KYoMooN is actually Jan Pulsford and she has worked producing music for Cyndi Lauper.  Yah, and you were thinking Second Life performers are just amateurs playing box guitars.  Right.  (laughs)

You can learn more about what JaNa is doing on Facebook, her Web site at JaNa KYoMooN, or follow her on Twitter.

This is in part a report on The Sun & Moon as previously I have reported exclusively from Cat's Art MusikCircus.  I can tell you that The Sun & Moon is a beautiful venue and well-suited to the types of performances Roxy staged there tonight.  She hopes to have JaNa and other ambient electronica performers back in the future for another show like this one and you might want to keep an eye out for that.


There isn't a picture of Cat and I dancing at this one but don't take that to mean there is any difficulty as she just got tied-up and couldn't be there.  It was a lovely show and even though I missed Cat terribly, I'm happy I could represent us there.  It was a lovely performance.

4 comments:

ChordSlinger said...

JaNa is the best synth player in SL in my opinion. It's not about playing fast or hitting fancy notes. It's about creating an incredibly beautiful atmosphere. If you let it, her music will take you to a place unlike any you've ever visited. It has depth and wonderment and feeling. Just amazing really. It's like a hit of acid. It's not high energy, but it's just high.

Unknown said...

She's marvelous and incredibly-talented. She plays ambient for this gig but she also played keys (and may still) for Cyndi Lauper's band. Quite an amazing lady!

ChordSlinger said...

Awhile back, she and I talked about doing an SL gig together, but as you know, I went off in a different direction and never followed up. By the way, surgery is Wednesday. I get a pain button which is great. If people come in and bother me, I can just push the pain button and smile and nod.

Unknown said...

Yah, that's the worst part of being in the hospital when people come into your room and you have to entertain them. Any time I've been there I would have much preferred that they left me alone! Break a leg!