Friday, January 18, 2013

Agustin Braham and Sonya Jevette at Cat Boucher's Art MusikCircus

There are now two shows on Thursdays at Cat Boucher's Art MusikCircus as Agustin Braham opens and Sonya Jevette follows.  They complement each other quite well as both have unique singing styles and Thursday has become the Night of Singers while Friday is the Night of Latin Guitarists.  Cat doesn't bill the shows these ways but that's something of the feel you will pick up on each night.


Agustin Braham has a very smooth and relaxed style of singing that you will find quite captivating.  Who knows, maybe he is wound up tighter than a cheap watch inside but I very much doubt it as there's a compelling calm in his voice.  Agustin doesn't do any grandstanding with his guitar but every so often he will do a few runs around the neck to show you he knows how to play it.  He delivers a highly professional performance and I'm sure you will enjoy it.

Very much the focus of Agustin's set is the content of the lyrics of his songs but I can't well report on that as yet as I haven't fully grabbed it.  What I know for sure is that the content is there and it is worth reaching to discover the depth of it.  I'm sure Agustin will be back again next week and I'll report more fully on his set as it wouldn't be fair to write on that prematurely.  I'm sure I heard 'dinosaurs and ice cream' and I have GOT to understand what that meant!


After Agustin's set came Sonya Jevette and you have seen me reporting on her shows previously so what I want to assure you is that she knows how to put a set together and she doesn't do the same set twice.  She does a mixture of covers and originals and she does just enough of the ones you have heard before to keep it feeling familiar and just enough of new ones to keep you surprised.


The picture shows the mix of entertainment and poignance in Sonya's performance and, in my view, that's what gives the performance its special charm.  She has such a wonderfully pretty voice and it's always a pleasure to listen to her sing.

So of course we need a picture of dancing with her during "The Big Girl Song:"



It's not the whole show with the conga and this time Sonya jumped on it with us.  From left to right in the picture, there's Yevette, Sonya, Cat, and Silas.  Big fun!



Something people sometimes don't realise about the MusikCircus is how many things Cat has built there.  Yevette has been my friend for many years and last night was her first visit to the MusikCircus.  We encouraged her to explore and here she is on the trapeze over the stage:


Welcome to the MusikCircus, Yevette!

No comments: